We were faced with an interesting situation regarding the restoration of a backup of the SAP HANA database.
I would like to understand if this is the logic of Commvault or is it a software bug?
We use a lot of SAP S/HANA systems.
To back up the databases of these systems, we use Commvault 11 SP17.9.
We set up backup jobs, storage policies, etc.
Often we use the function of copying the database of one system to another using Commvault. (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=22394.htm)
I will pass on to the details.
1. Two hosts are deployed - saps4sbxdb02 and saps4sbxdb03 with SUSE SLES 12 SP4 for SAP.
2. SAP HANA (2.00.037.00.1552531011) was installed on saps4sbxdb02 host. Backup agents have been configured
3. SAP HANA (2.00.037.00.1552531011) was installed on saps4sbxdb03 host. Backup agents have been configured
4. A full backup was made for each system. Log backup is performed at intervals of every 15 minutes.
5. We are copying the TS3 database to TS2. For example, at time 15:00. Copying is successful.
6. We want to return the data of the TS2 base before the moment of copying, i.e. we restore TS2 at 14:55 (for an example).We know for sure that we have a full backup that was made several hours ago (before copying the database), as well as logs of database TS2. That is, Commvault has all the necessary conditions to perform a restore. But recovery fails.
It is clear that this situation can be avoided by performing a full backup of TS2 before copying data from TS3 to it. But I don’t understand why I can’t recover using the old full backup and TS2 database logs?