Data copy options in Commvault ?

Last post 11-26-2019, 9:41 AM by Thomas S. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Data copy options in Commvault ?
    Posted: 11-24-2019, 3:49 AM

Hello,
    I'd like to set up a tiering.
    The data will stay at location A for 7 days 1 cycles and then be stored at location B for 21 days and 3 cycles. I need a solution that does not run as Sync Copy How can I do this with Commvault SP16 ? Can anyone help here ?

Yours sincerely

Thomas

• Re: Data copy options in Commvault ?
    Posted: 11-24-2019, 6:23 AM

Hi Thomas

You can consider using inline copy (http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=119071.htm)

The purpose is to write the initial Backup to multiple copies (all with differring retention)

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 11-24-2019, 6:48 AM

Wwong:

Hi Thomas

You can consider using inline copy (http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=119071.htm)

The purpose is to write the initial Backup to multiple copies (all with differring retention)

Regards

Winston 

Hi Winston,

will the data not be copied to the second location until the retention period for the first location has expired? This would be the behavior, I am looking for.

Yours sincerely

Thomas

Posted: 11-24-2019, 5:35 PM

Hi Thomas, would creating a new Aux Copy Schedule to every 7 days (instead of using the default of every 30 minutes) from Copy A to Copy B be suitable instead?  Would using a Selective Copy that just protects the (Synthetic) Fulls suit?

That said, the behaviour you are looking for is a little unusual.  May I ask what problem you are trying to ovecome?

Posted: 11-25-2019, 4:08 AM

Anthony.Hodges:

Hi Thomas, would creating a new Aux Copy Schedule to every 7 days (instead of using the default of every 30 minutes) from Copy A to Copy B be suitable instead?  Would using a Selective Copy that just protects the (Synthetic) Fulls suit?

That said, the behaviour you are looking for is a little unusual.  May I ask what problem you are trying to ovecome?

Hi Anthony,

I'm trying to backup our main database. But as the space on the library is getting tight, I try to move the backup to our data domain after a successful cycle for the remaining retention period of 21 more days. Altogether we have to back up the data for four weeks.

Posted: 11-25-2019, 4:26 AM
    Hi Thomas, Storage Policy copies don't work that way. The only conceivable way to combine the two different types of storage to provide extra cover would be to create a library with each with a Data Path to Storage A and a Data Path to Storage B then use "Fill and Spill", but I certainly would not recommend it!

Has a cloud based library been considered?
    Posted: 11-25-2019, 4:46 AM

Anthony.Hodges:
    Hi Thomas, Storage Policy copies don't work that way. The only conceivable way to combine the two different types of storage to provide extra cover would be to create a library with each with a Data Path to Storage A and a Data Path to Storage B then use "Fill and Spill", but I certainly would not recommend it! Has a cloud based library been considered?

Hi Anthony,

we won't get any new storage in the near future and have to make do with what we currently have available.  Your last post with the extra Aux Copy, wouldn't that work for now?
    If the copy job has enough time to finish before the retention period of the primary copy expires, should it work?
    I know this is very strange, but it should be possible even if Commvault is not designed for it.

Posted: 11-25-2019, 8:49 AM

Hi Tomas

I would create aPrimary Copy with 7 Days / 1 Cycle and a Secondary one Synchronous Secondary Copy with 28 Days / 4 Cycles. This will create a duplicate right away, and give additional protection. Due to DataDomain Dedup this shouldn't eat up to much additional space.

If you want to avoid the copy for the first couple of days you can set up "defer aux copy for x days", say set it to 6. Then it will prevent AuxCopy in the first days after the Backup was taken.

Be aware that 7 Days / 1 Cycle does mean that you will end up with up to 13 Backups on your primary Copy, since the first cycle will only age out once all incremental Backups are aged as well (assuming Full/Incr mix).

Hope that Helps

Stefan

Posted: 11-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Nice one Stefan. 

Posted: 11-26-2019, 9:41 AM

Hi, Stefan,

thank you for your suggestion. I'm working on it because I think that this setting could help us with the problem here. I will have a look at the behavior of the data backup and if necessary report again or give a feedback to the topic.

Yours sincerely

Thomas

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy