Re joining Media Agent to CommCell

Last post 11-30-2019, 8:48 PM by Wwong. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Re joining Media Agent to CommCell
    Posted: 11-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Hi All

i needed to carry out come maintanence and make some changes to a media agent in my environment, at some point during this i thougt it would be a good idea to delete it from my CommCell!

What i expected to be able to do was to re-import/re-join it to the CommCell, but i dont appear to be able to do this there does not appear to b any optoin anywhere to add a media agent.

what i want to avoid is having to reinstall the Media Agent software and run through the set up menu at that point to import it. i have searched CV books online and have not found anything to help :-(.

So is there a way to reimport/re-join a media agent to a commcell that does not include having to reinstall the media agent software?

thanks inadvance

• Re: Re joining Media Agent to CommCell
    Posted: 11-28-2019, 12:55 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 12-12-2019, 11:31 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,777

Deleting an object from the GUI removes it from the database. You would need to reinstall it. 

• Re: Re joining Media Agent to CommCell
    Posted: 11-30-2019, 8:48 PM

Hi Loonsbro 

You can refer to the following analogy:

• CommServe is the Brains and contains all the configuration and Backup Information
    • MediaAgent will be the arms and the legs. The CommServe will send request to the MediaAgent to intialize the Data Movement 
    • Client will be tools that the MediaAgent will interact with 
    In any scenario where you would like to retain the configuration of the MediaAgent you should not be removing the reference from the CommServe. Its like the Brains has severed the connection to the arms and legs. 

You can however do maintenance on the MediaAgent (OS Level) and in the scenario where the OS is corrupted (due to Hardware Issues and etc), when you reinstall the OS and Commvault software you can use the same Host Name and Client Name (referenced in the CommServe DB), so once the installation is done, it will inherit all the settings (Disk Library association and Storage Policy). 

In your current state you will need to re-install the MediaAgent and re-configure all the references to Disk Library and Storage Policy Data Paths. 

Feel free to reach out to support if you need any guidance

Regards

Winston 
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy