Lingering CV snapshots from backup jobs

Last post 01-12-2020, 6:44 PM by Anthony.Hodges. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Lingering CV snapshots from backup jobs
    Posted: 01-08-2020, 10:53 AM

I am trying to see if there is a report that shows any lingering cv snapshots after backup jobs run. I have been informed that there are/have been some that occur. I don't have details of dates/times but is there a way to run a report or view these remnants? We are using VMWare ESXi. The console window isn't really helpful because its real time monitoring. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Do the snapshots have a unique naming convention?

• Re: Lingering CV snapshots from backup jobs
    Posted: 01-08-2020, 5:43 PM

The snapshot names will be __GX_BACKUP__.

Are you using Service Pack 17 or later? If so then try this feature.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp18/article?p=114921.htm

For more information about snapshots remaining, VMware have provided some insight in this KB article.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57325

Posted: 01-09-2020, 2:08 PM

I am running SP17. I will check out the links you provided. Thank you!

Posted: 01-10-2020, 12:46 PM

I created my own report in the WebConsole. It will show all Snaps but you can then sort or filter on those that are Mounted and processing or the ones Created that are either in queue to process or need a Backup Copy started. You will need to modify the CommServ SQL query a bit since I have certain things unique to our environment - subclient Like 'RDM_%'  & a.data_sp_copy_retendays = 45 but 99% of what you need should be there. I attached a screen shot of the output. 

DECLARE @temp1 TABLE
    (
    ClientName varchar(50),
    ClientId int,
    SubClient varchar(50),
    ProxyServer varchar(50)
    )

INSERT INTO @temp1
    select Distinct a.clientname, a.clientid, a.subclient, c.DisplayName
    from dbo.CommCellSubClientConfig a
    join dbo.APP_SubClientProp b (nolock)
    on a.appid = b.componentNameId
    join dbo.CNClientInfoView c (nolock)
    on b.attrVal = c.ID
    where (b.attrName = 'Snap copy : proxy to use' or b.attrName = 'Enable Snap Backups') and subclient Like 'RDM_%' and b.modified = 0 and a.data_sp_copy_retendays = 45
    order by c.DisplayName

select c.ClientName, c.JobId, c.[Mount Status], c.EngineName, d.ProxyServer
    from [dbo].[CommCellSnapInfo] c
    join @temp1 d
    on c.ClientId = d.ClientId
    where c.[Mount Status] = 'Created' or c.[Mount Status] = 'Mounted'

Attachment: SnapReport.png
    Posted: 01-12-2020, 6:44 PM

That query won't work if you are only using streaming backups, but it is a very nice query for Intellisnap - thanks for sharing.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy