Solaris ZFS Software Snapshots

Last post 01-31-2020, 7:14 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Solaris ZFS Software Snapshots
    Posted: 01-23-2020, 1:23 PM

The Software Snapshots from Solaris ZFS filesystems seems to be supported (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=37170.htm).

Which configurations are needed to make ZFS snapshots with Commvault Software and backup the snapshot data?

• Re: Solaris ZFS Software Snapshots
    Posted: 01-27-2020, 7:42 AM

Hi CLiX

Base on the documentation I believe you will need to configure the Snap Engine to leverage Software Snaps for Solaris ZFS 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=60095.htm

Here are also some further details on Oracle ZFS (as Sun Microsystem was acquire by Oracle)

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=33934.htm

Regards

Winston

Posted: 01-28-2020, 10:00 AM

Hi Winston,

I enabled the native snap engine support on commserve level.

My Solaris test client has the media agent package installed and I checked the "Enable IntelliSnap" on client level. As an array I created a "Oracle ZFS Storage" with client hostname as array name.

I created a new subclient with a test zfs pool as content and enabled the intellisnap.

Now if I run a backup, then it will proceed only to 5% and the last log is:

CVSnapClientAPIInternal::getRemoteOpNextStep() - Going to execute it locally
    CVMMSnapAPI::processVolSnapOperation() - Request to MM -- << OpType[5: Prepare] SnapJob[0] SrcClient[2024] MountHost[0] VmHostId[0] OpSrc[1: IDA] OpMode[3: HWDB] Flags[0] HopCount[0] Status[0] >>
    CVMMSnapAPI::processVolSnapOperation() - VolSnap to MM -- <<  [V-4: -1 -2 -3 -4] [MS: 11 11 11 11] [S-1: -1] [MD-10: -1 -2 -3 -4 -5] [M-4: -1 -2 -3 -4] [C-0:] [E-0:] >>

No error but also no zfs snapshot. Any idea?

Posted: 01-31-2020, 7:14 AM

Hi CLiX

From the logs that is presented, it doesn't look like the API call from the MediaAgent server is able to reach the Storage to trigger the Snapshot creation 

This could potentially be a permission/configuration issue. 

It might be advisable to engage support to clarify the configuration and guide you to get the snapshot creation to function properly. 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy