Im a beginner ... Volume Pools??

Last post 01-28-2020, 10:01 PM by Anthony.Hodges. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Im a beginner ... Volume Pools??
    Posted: 01-28-2020, 12:00 PM

Hello All

Im a novice commvault user.  Trying to set up an environment in commvault and Im wondering about Media Tapes and how to segregate them from the different backup policies.  Another words in the netbackup world in which Im familiar with there was the Volume Pools area.  So when creating a backup policy in netbackup you selected what volume pool you wanted this backup / media tapes associated with.   Therefore once a backup had started it pulls from scratch pool and is assigned to this volume pool and therefore no other backup policies can write to this tape uness part of the same volume pool or the media had expired which then would be put back in scratch pool..

How do we do this in Commvault...??  Probably right in front of my eyes but havent stumbled on it just yet.

Any links or quick answers would be appreciated..

Thanks 

• Re: Im a beginner ... Volume Pools??
    Posted: 01-28-2020, 12:32 PM

In your Commvault Console, go to Storage Resources and located Libraries. You will have to add your libraries (Tape, S3 etc.)

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9636.htm 

Posted: 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the link... https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9636.htm

Yes I added our library.. 

But Im wondering if there is a such thing like we had in netbackup with regard to volume pools..  Where in commvault do you create various "pools" so that when creating a new windows backup policy to Tape you assign that policy to a particular Pool such as for example "windows system" pool.  So when backup job starts it take a tape from scratch pool and assigns it to the "windows system" pool.... or if we have a linux backup policy to tape that is backing up the linux system files and want to assign the tape to a "unix pool" for example.  Another words the "unix pool" tape is only used for the linux backup policies and a windows backup policy would not write to this tape..  It would write to the "windows system" pool tape.   When these backups expire the tapes go back to the scratch pool..

Maybe Im thinking to much into it... Im still very new to commvault and have my head wrapped in the netbackup world sort of speak... :) 

Thanks Again

Posted: 01-28-2020, 1:05 PM

Thats ok Brian, Commvault is a very complex tool and we are all learning as we go. The way you are explaining it almost makes me think you will have your environment separated by client OS (or not)...If I`m understanding your question, what you can do is to create different storage policies and with libraries. 

Those storage policies will be associated with your clients/subclients. Within the storage policy you can configure different libraries.

Posted: 01-28-2020, 6:45 PM

Thats ok Brian, Commvault is a very complex tool and we are all learning as we go. The way you are explaining it almost makes me think you will have your environment separated by client OS (or not)...If I`m understanding your question, what you can do is to create different storage policies and with libraries. 

Those storage policies will be associated with your clients/subclients. Within the storage policy you can configure different libraries.

--------------------------

Thanks again for your post.  YES im finding it very complex...  Yes you can say I have it separated by client OS.  Basically I just want to make sure our SQL backup data to tape doesnt get written to say our Windows/System backup data Tape..  Not sure if you ever played around with netbackup as in netbackup you could create a volume pool such as SQL and assign that Pool to all of the SQL backup policies... 

So your saying I need to create a different Storage policy for each category (like a voulme pool in netbackup) such as SQL; Windows/System etc... and  associate that with clients/subclients but how do you assoicate the libaries to the storage ploicies...  Man this is confusing... :( 

Posted: 01-28-2020, 10:01 PM

Actually, you may be suprised but this part of Commvault regarding Storage Policies for Tapes is quite simple.

Two unique Storage Policies that each write an Auxiliary Copy can use the same shared barcode Tape Library, but the Tapes from "StoragePolicy_WindowsFileSystem/TapeCopy" will never share the same tapes as the "StoragePolicy_SQLServer/TapeCopy".  Or more simply, the Storage Policies for WindowsFileSystem and SQLServer can have the exact same settings for disk and tape, but the tapes from WindowsFileSystem and SQLServer will never co-exist on the same tape.  A Commvault Storage Policy Copy will simply use either the last appendable tape used by the Storage Policy Copy, or pick up a new/retired tape from the Scratch Pool and this process is automatically done by the Commvault MediaAgent Server.

Now the feature that you do not want to have happen to your SQL Server & Windows File System Tapes does exist, but you have to go out of your way to enable it.  This feature is known as a Global Secondary Copy, and this is useful in environments that want to save money on tapes that also have more than one Storage Policy with data.

Hope that helps

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy