Changing storage policy that has different retention.

Last post 01-31-2020, 10:31 AM by Liam. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Changing storage policy that has different retention.
    Posted: 01-30-2020, 6:56 PM

Hello all,

I am wondering what will happen to backups when I change storage policy that has different retention.

For example, in this scenario I like to ignore "cycles", I have a client "A" that has storage policy "A" which has 365 day retention policy.

I create storage policy "B" and set 30 day for rentention.

From client A, I change the storage policy to from "A" to "B", what happens to backups that was already stamped with 60 day retention? will it change to 30 days? and expire after 30 days?

Second question, what if I change the storage policy retention?

For example, I have a client "A" that has storage policy "A" which has 365 day retention policy.

I change the storage policy "A"'s retention to 30 days, will all old and new clients' backup on Storage policy "A" will expire after 30 days?

I want to find out what is the better way to change retention for certain clients.

Thank you in advance.

• Re: Changing storage policy that has different retention.
    Posted: 01-31-2020, 6:13 AM

Changing client to a new SP will not change retention on a backup that has already been taken.

If you change the SP retention then yes backups will age according to the new setting.  If you don't want this to happen to existing backup jobs then copy them to a new copy with the original retention on.

Regards

Guy
  • Re: Changing storage policy that has different retention.
    Posted: 01-31-2020, 10:31 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 04-01-2020, 9:30 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,818

You can see the changes being made to retention time with the Data Forecast Report. Just make sure you filter by client or SP you are focused on or expect to wait a while for it the report to be generated. 

It will show you the expected retention times when it is run. You can make changes to retention and a new report will reflect the changes for comparison. 

Just make sure you have Data Aging off when making changes. Once DA runs it applies whatever the retention is at that time.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy