Failed MediaAgent - re-install with same name and IP?

Last post 02-06-2020, 3:43 AM by JayLong. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Failed MediaAgent - re-install with same name and IP?
    Posted: 02-04-2020, 9:35 AM

Hi,

One of our MediaAgent servers has failed. It looks like .NET has got corrupted and there doesn't seem to be a way to repair it to resolve the issues. So I'm wondering if it's possible to re-install the machine with the same name and IP address? The DDB and are all on separate volumes. I found this thread on a similar scenario: http://forum.commvault.com/forums/57841/ShowThread.aspx#57841

I was wondering if the same hardware can be used so the steps would be as follows:

• Within Commvault set current media agent in maintenance mode
    • Shutdown commvault services on current media agent
    • Copy off Index Cache (DDB is on it's own volume already)
    • Re-install MediaAgent O/S with same name and IP
    • Install CV media agent package, if needed other packages
    • Shutdown services and copy Index Cache
    • Start services
    • Disable maintenance mode for media agent
    Thanks
  • Re: Failed MediaAgent - re-install with same name and IP?
    Posted: 02-04-2020, 9:50 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 04-01-2020, 9:30 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,818

That will work, but why is .net failing forcing a full reinstall? .net isn't a commvault component, how does reinstalling the media agent fix .net?

Posted: 02-04-2020, 9:56 AM

.NET being part of the O/S and that will be re-installed from scratch which should resolve the .NET issue. Commvault Media Agent software would be installed on the rebuilt O/S.

At the moment it's not possible to start a PowerShell prompt, EventViewer,  Server Manager or the Roles/Features panel on the server. I've tried the standalone MS .NET Fix/Repair tool with no success.

Posted: 02-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Reinstall with same host name and make sure drive letters are the same.  Reinstall CV with all the proper packages and you'll be good to go.  

Posted: 02-06-2020, 3:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I got the machine re-installed and it's now back online and running jobs OK.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy