Automated service restart

Last post 02-23-2020, 3:28 AM by Wwong. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Automated service restart
    Posted: 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM

Hello.

Does anyone know of a way to automate commvault service restart on a windows media agent, from within the Commcell console?

I know I could use windows powershell but it's better to do it from Commvault.

Cheers

Regards

Guy
  • Re: Automated service restart
    Posted: 02-23-2020, 2:51 AM

Not really.  I mean you could create a batch file on the MediaAgent and then use the ExecuteProcess to workflow activity to run the batch file.  The next challenge then is how you can make the workflow checkl that the restart batch file has worked from the CommServe.  I'd imagine that you could create a script to run on the CommServe that does a tcp ping on the MediAgent ports (the script would need to generate a stderr if the tcp ping failed) and retry it every 30 seconds until the tcp ping is alive.  Or you could create a batch script to check the state of all the Media Agent services.

Whilst I am sure there are sysadmins with a better programatic eye that what I have, but either way I think it will be a bit clumsy.  I guess it needs to be asked, what is the need for the automating the service restart - is it for after hours maintenace or is there a known issue you have that is best resolved through a service restart?

• Re: Automated service restart
    Posted: 02-23-2020, 3:28 AM

Hi Guy 

There already an option within Commvault that allows the CommServe to send a Service Restart to Clients and MediaAgent (however this is a manual process)

If you are looking to automate this you can consider the following:

Regards

Winston
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy