Update SAP HANA DB Servers (CommVault Agent/Client)

Last post 03-24-2020, 6:09 PM by efg. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Update SAP HANA DB Servers (CommVault Agent/Client)
    Posted: 03-24-2020, 6:13 AM

Hello everyone,

we're currently on V11 SP18 and I need to update our SAP HANA DB Servers accordingly. I decided to go with the local installation method on one of our SAP HANA DB Servers. To update, I downloaded the necessary files using the CommCells "Software Download" Feature. I than grabbed the update/install files from the CommVault Server Software Cache and uploaded them to the SAP HDB Server.

According to the documentation, I have to execute    ./cvpkgadd    from the update/install files directory. I made sure that permissions are correct and executed the command. Unfortunately this only results in:

HDBServer:/.../CommVault/V11 SP18 # sudo ./cvpkgadd

Using update installer SP18/linux-x8664/LooseUpdates/CU11/linux-glibc2.3-x86_64/installer/newinstall.gz: -

It's doing nothing after that. What am I doing wrong? Can you help me out here?

Best regards,

C0mmV4ult

• Re: Update SAP HANA DB Servers (CommVault Agent/Client)
    Posted: 03-24-2020, 3:51 PM

Why not use the central console and push updates from there? I update several SAP HANA servers monthly without issues that way. Check the documentation. Much simpler and less hassle at the command line. You do not need local access to the server. If you have a firewall in the way, you need TCP port 22 opened, that's all. (check docs to verify)

I have some other thoughts below. If the info below is confusing, I recommend opening a ticket with Commvault support, and they can help you. 

Looking at your local install steps above, how did you acquire the files from the software cache? Are they taken from a windows server (like my setup) or do you have a cache on a Unix server? 

If you manually only copy files from the cache to the destination server, the installer will probably not function properly. You might be able to get away with it in unix, but you should create an install package to do that. Have not done that myself. 

If you have a software cache **on a unix server**, go to the root of the directory and run the ./cvpkgadd utility to create a unix updater package. I do not have familiarity with that since my backup setup is all windows. 

I'm more familiar with this method: go to the Maintenance Advantage site and download the windows-based downloader package on to a windows-based computer. Then I create a Unix update package from that windows installer package, copy the tar file to the destination server and untar it.

Sounds a little strange, but if you go in to the steps from the windows installer package, you will see an option to create or download packages for different unix flavors. From there you should be able to create a package, have the packager 'tar' it up, then transfer it to your destination server. 

As I said in the beginning, make your life easier and use the console, or open a ticket for help if my info is confusing. Hope this helps! Stay strong and healthy. 

Joel B

• Re: Update SAP HANA DB Servers (CommVault Agent/Client)
    Posted: 03-24-2020, 6:09 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 03-24-2020, 6:10 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,720

If these HANA servers already have the agents installed, just push the updates from the console.  You can even push a whole new service pack that way as well.   Since the agent is already installed, the push install will use the existing services to push the sw to the client and start the installation automatically.  This will work on ALL installed agents even if they are behind firewalls as the services configuration would take care of using the tunnels already configured.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy