Data error (cyclic redundancy check) on my tape drive

Last post 03-25-2020, 8:58 AM by jhshen. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Data error (cyclic redundancy check) on my tape drive
    Posted: 03-24-2020, 10:45 PM

I have an HP MSL4048 tape library which uses HP LTO7 5.47 TB-sized tapes.

For the last few days, I've received a:

"Data error (cyclic redundancy check). JobId : # Date :"

And the Commvault Alert e-mail will show:

• Library Name: 
    • Drivepool: 
    • Drive: HP Ultrium 7-SCSI_1
    • Media label: 
    • Failure Reason: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    • Condition Cleared: No 

On any tape which is being written to. The error will not occur right away, but maybe about an hour after it is written to. The error message appears on Media Properties -> Side A. And as soon as that happens, the status of the tape shows FULL even the tape is clearly not used to the capacity. It has happened on every tape that's being written to, so I suspect it's a problem with the tape library.

Two questions:

#1. Do you know how to fix this problem?

#2. With regards to the tapes that now show a status of FULL and have a "Data error (cyclic redudancy check)" error imposed on to them, is there any way to "fix and reset" the tapes so that they can be written to again and resetting the status so that they are not FULL and instead show ACTIVE, while not removing any data that have already been written into the tape? In other words, I don't want to delete the contents to try to reset them.

• Re: Data error (cyclic redundancy check) on my tape drive
    Posted: 03-25-2020, 8:58 AM

It may be a hardware problem with HP.

And selecting Mark Appendable will make the half-full tapes ready for writing again.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy