Deduplication block size and Application read size

Last post 04-15-2020, 8:32 PM by Saurabh Srivastava. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Deduplication block size and Application read size
    Posted: 04-01-2020, 4:50 PM

Hi all,

I have certain doubts regarding application read size and Deduplication block size.

How are these two - Deduplication bock size and Application read size - connected?

Suppose if I have set an application read size of 512 KB at subclient level and deduplication bock size of 128 KB at primary storage policy copy.

My understanding is-  the data will be read from the client server, which is compressed to deduplication buffer of 128 KB and then Signature is generated.  Now, where is 512 KB of Application read size comes into picture?

A text in the below link is further confusing me-

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=1497.htm 

Application Read Buffer Size

For default and user-defined subclients that are newly created from the CommCell Console, Command Center, or command line, the application read buffer size is now 512 KB.

Previously, the application read buffer size was 64 KB.

Note that from Service Pack 11 onwards, new baselines for deduplication signature will be created for all newly created subclients because of this change.

I am not getting how come changing the the application read size will require new baseline for deduplication signature, After all we are not changing the Deduplication block size? right?

Regards

Saurabh

Saurabh Srivastava
  • Re: Deduplication block size and Application read size
    Posted: 04-02-2020, 9:46 PM

Hi Saurabh,

we are not changing the block size but the tag header/data changes when the applciation read size changes which changes the hash signature.

if this has signature does match the existing has signature in the DDB then its treated as new.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
  • Re: Deduplication block size and Application read size
    Posted: 04-15-2020, 8:32 PM

Thanks Gary.

Regards,

Saurabh

Saurabh Srivastava
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy