Multiple DDBs?

Last post 05-19-2020, 9:01 PM by Wwong. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Multiple DDBs?
    Posted: 04-20-2020, 3:27 PM

Using Commvault v11.  Still a beginner with CV environment.  

Is it possible to have multiple CV DDBs?  If so how do I create the additional CV DDBs in the commcell.  Basically I understand that dedupe works best when you pool by separate data types and then use seperate dedupe DBs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

BC

• Re: Multiple DDBs?
    Posted: 04-20-2020, 3:44 PM

Hi Brian,

you can use Horizontal scaling now so no need to worry about creating different ones manually.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp17/article?p=111494.htm

Use Horizontal Scaling of Deduplication Databases to Improve Deduplication Performance

Use horizontal scaling of deduplication databases to create separate deduplication databases for three different data types—virtual machines, databases, and file system agents—when you create a storage policy copy.

Horizontal scaling improves deduplication efficiency because similar data types deduplicate more efficiently than dissimilar data types.

Also, the Commvault software automatically creates a new deduplication database when either the free space on a deduplication database partition disk reaches the threshold or the query and insertion (QI) time exceeds the threshold.

For more information, see Media Management Configuration: Deduplication.

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 04-25-2020, 1:44 AM

Yes but you shouldn't worry about creating separate DDB's to separate data types, Commvault SP18 now deploys separate DDBs (VM, Files and Database DDBs) for each Global Dedupe Policy you deploy.

You will need to deploy separate Global Dedupe Policies (new set of DDBs) if you wish to create secondary storage policy copies e.g 'Synchronous Secondary Copy' to hold a copy of the data in a different site for redundancy purposes or 'Selective Copy' to store a specific set of full backups for a longer period of time.

Posted: 04-27-2020, 5:24 PM

Thanks for the Replies...

So if CV SP18 (we are on SP19.4) deploys separate DDBs with regard to global Dedup.  So do I just create sepearte "Storage Policys - type Global Deduplication Storage Policy" for the various different data types (vm, Databases, Files).  So another words create 3 "Global Deduplication Storage Policies" for those particular types of data type / agents.   Thanks again

Posted: 04-27-2020, 6:56 PM

after you enable the horizontal scaling in control panel-> media management -> Deduplication.

you create one storage policy like you nromally would and after that you will see 3 seperate new DDBs created automatically under the DDB path you give during storage policy creation. so you will see 3 folders - one for Files, one for databases and one for VM's.

you will see this under storage resurces -> deduplication engines.

now any new sub-clients created using that new storage policy will be distributed across those 3 DDB's depending on the agent type.

Gary Seibak
    Attachment: ddb1.png
    Posted: 04-28-2020, 7:42 AM

ok great...  I think I understand that portion (horiz scaling) .  Thanks 

Few more questions...

So after I create the 3 DDBs (vms, Files, DBs) via horiz scaling and my weekly and FULL level disk backups are now going to the correct Dedup DB.. What happens or better yet how do I create a FULL Level to tape to be sent off site..  I dont think I want to run it through the Dedup DB correct..  Im thinkinging I need to just create a new Storage policy and a sepearte FULL level schedule for that particular server to get the secondary FULL on to tape?  correct?

Also I would like to clean up what I did already had created with the dedup since I know a little more now...  can I just delete what I have already under the Dedup Engines area?  I attached a file snip of what it looks like...  

Thanks again for all the help.. Im still learning slowly...   - Brian

Attachment: cv1.PNG
    Posted: 04-28-2020, 8:30 AM

If I understand you correctly, the following are the Commvault components you need to deploy in the exact order outlined below:

Step 1: Setup a single Disk Library to store deduped data on disk:

This disk library will serve as the designated target disk library for the Global Dedupe Policy you will deploy in step 3. 

Step 2: Setup a single Tape Library :

This tape library will serve as the designated Tape library for the Secondary Policy Copy you will create in step 5. 

Step 3: Create a Global Deduplication Policy:

a) As you follow the wizard, select the Disk Library you created in Step 1 as the target library. 

b) For SP18 deployments, once you have created the GDP, you will notice in the Commcell Console under 'Deduplication Engines' that 3 DDBs have been created. This "Horizontal DDB Scaling" feature is ON by default in this service pack.

Step 4: Create a new Storage Policy:

a) As you follow the wizard, enable deduplication.

b) Select the GDP you created in Step 3

c) After the Storage Policy creation is complete, you should be able to see a single Storage Policy Copy, "Primary Copy", under the new Storage Policy Copy you created. This is the default policy copy in which ALL associated subclients will write their backups to first.

Step 5: Create a new Policy Copy (to hold data to be written to tape) under the new Storage Policy you created:

a) Do not enable Deduplication for this copy, leave the box unticked

b) Select the tape library you created in Step 2 as the target library

c) Select the desired Drive pool and scratch pool for this Tape copy

Step 6: Associate your subclients to the Storage Policy you created. Do not start a backup just yet.

Step 7: If you do not wish for some of your client data to be written to tape, simply do the following:

a) Find the Storage Policy you created, right click on the Tape Policy Copy created, go to Properties

b) Under the 'Associations', deselect the subclients you do not wish to be copied to tape.

Step 8: Setup a backup schedule for your subclients.

As for the GDP you wish to delete, simply go to old Storage Policy(s) you created that are associated with the old GDP, right click the storage policy copy, view jobs, select all jobs that are there, right click and select 'delete jobs'.

Run a 'data aging' job, right click Commserve icon>>All tasks>Data aging>run immediate job

Under each DDB>>right click>>all tasks>>Validate and Prune Aged Data

In about 1hr or so, the old DDBs should just dissapear.

Posted: 04-29-2020, 10:38 AM

Hey Moe - Thanks for all the info...  

I already have #1 and #2 done.. Also made sure horiz DDB scaling is enabled..  

As for the GDP you wish to delete, simply go to old Storage Policy(s) you created that are associated with the old GDP, right click the storage policy copy, view jobs, select all jobs that are there, right click and select 'delete jobs'.

Run a 'data aging' job, right click Commserve icon>>All tasks>Data aging>run immediate job

Under each DDB>>right click>>all tasks>>Validate and Prune Aged Data

In about 1hr or so, the old DDBs should just dissapear.

I did the folliowng to try and clear up my previous DDBs..   But they are not disappearing..  There was no jobs when clicking on the storage copy..   any other ideas i might beable to try...  Thanks in advance - Brian

Attachment: cv2.PNG
    Posted: 04-29-2020, 12:05 PM

Brian,

on the DDB you highlighted in the picture what does the righ hand panel show for number of jobs ? is it zero.

once you delete the storage policy the DDB will go away from the GUI as long as there are no jobs and the SP is not associated or has associations. 

you will have log out and back in to the GUI.

Gary Seibak
    Posted: 04-29-2020, 12:23 PM

yes is states that Jobs = 0..  I will delete the storage policy and report back to what happens.. Thanks

Brian

Posted: 05-04-2020, 5:15 PM

sorry for the late reply..  So yes I finally deleted the storage policy and the DDB did go away.   I have recently add a new "Global" DDB with the horiz DDB enabled.  (see attachment).  It did as you explained it.  Thanks for that help!!  I will probably delete the DISK stoage policy as well as this was set to use dedup but not global dedup. 

So If I have a windows client server that is already listed under my clients.  If I add a new subclient (just for test purposes - see attachment) why is it that I dont see the newly created Global Dedup Stroage policy under the drop down menu under Storage device tab for the subclient.. I see the others?

sorry still a little confused..   I get that commvault will know what horiz ddb to use based on the clients agent type..

Thanks agin

Brian

Posted: 05-04-2020, 6:11 PM

See Step 4 in my previous post, you need to create a Storage Policy associated with the GDP you creatd.

Posted: 05-05-2020, 11:48 AM

so i used the existing Disk library I already had set up when doing step#3 ... I had tried it 2 ways..  I initially created a new stoare poicly type global dedup.  Then this way it added the 3 dedup's "files; DB; VMs" under the Deduplication Engines.  So when trying to add another subclient to an existing Windows client server and then when selecting the storage policy "new policy (global dedup)" well it does not show up on the drop down list - the new global dedup policy i just create that is. 

So I deleted the storage policy I created and decided to start over.... so I did your step #3 using the already existing DISK Library I had created a while back.. With step #3 I just right clicked on the "Deduplication Engines" and selected to create a "A new global Dedup Storage Policy"  So this basically did the same as just creating a new storage policy.  This way created the 3  Dedup - VMs; Files; & DBs under Dedup engines section and also created a new storage policy.  So I then tried to add another subclient to the existing windows server client and when I tried to select the Storage Policy this newly storage policy does not show up in the list..  Basically same thing as I explained in 1st paragraph.

**?? maybe I need to create a new DISK library just for Dedup???.   Should the Dedup Data have its own partition of storage space on the commserve??.  

After doing step #3 which already created a new storage policy..  you say that step#4 to create a storage policy.  so I guess my confuision is that Step # 3 automatically creates the Storage policy for me and then you say create another storage policy in Step#4.. 

Sorry if Im totally missing this..  Im trying...

Thanks again for your patience and HELP!!! 

Posted: 05-05-2020, 3:50 PM

sorry to be a pain in the you know what.. 

So with step one creating the single disk library to store dedup data on disk..  This should be the DISK STORAGE we have allocated (21 TB) on the media server F: drive..  Not the E: drive which we have allocated 3.21 TB for the Deduplication Database. 

Guess Im either totally confused or just looking to much into this.. 

Where do I specify the location of the Deduplication Database (our E: drive on the media server)??

Thanks

Bri. 

Posted: 05-19-2020, 9:01 PM

Hi Brian 

During the creationg of the Deduplication Policy it will instruct you to select MediaAgent and location for the Deduplication Engine. 

So the Steps to configure this is:

• Create Disk Library and associate it to the Mount Point defined on the OS 
    • Create a new Deduplication Policy and select the above Disk Library as target
    • During the creation phase of the Deduplication Policy it will also ask you to define where the DDB will reside on (MediaAgent and Volume location)
    Hopefully that is clear 

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions 

Kind Regards

Winston 
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy