VPN functionality

Last post 05-20-2020, 12:57 PM by Leo E. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VPN functionality
    Posted: 05-19-2020, 6:11 AM

Hello all,

Has anyone set up the VPN functionality of the new CV version (Service pack)? 

I have a couple of questions, doubts. Namely, our system is set up so that all communication from the outside world passes through our FW device and only certain ports are allowed. 

When I set up a CV VPN router (in this case we want one server to have that role) is it necessary to set up NAT on our FW device as well, some permission from the external address to pass to it.  I should emphasize that our external users use the CV Proxy server to communicate with the CommCell server (roaming users).

The documentation does not clearly state how all this is set up.

Whether in addition to defining a server that is a VPN router, each client should also be defined as a VPN client or just those specific external machines.

Thank you all.

Addition: 
    In order not to confuse users, is it possible to remove the VPN from the Edge Monitor until the system is set up, or for those clients who do not need it. VPN Management is set under "master"role, but its not possible to turn it off. 

• Re: VPN functionality
    Posted: 05-19-2020, 3:32 PM

Hi Vladan,

There is no need to set up NAT on your FW devices and VPN router. VPN router should be allowed to make a connection to the port (3389 for RDP/mstsc) of the machine being connected.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7633.htm 

You will need to create gateway topology

1. External clients to VPN router via CV proxy

2. External clients to CS via CV proxy

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7620.htm

Clients/Client groups (usually external clients) that require VPN access can be defined as VPN clients.

To turn off VPN option from Edge monitor, you can unselect 'Enable VPN client on this computer' until VPN is setup.

Thanks

Posted: 05-20-2020, 6:06 AM

Hi Leo,

When I turn plugin OFF in Process Manager the VPN option in Edge Monitor is still there!

I did try by documentation, but its not working. The idea is: To one of our secundary AD server promote to be VPN router. I did set that from CV console. Then my laptop at home from CV Console I set to be a VPN client. But this not working. I can't reach our AD server trought RDP or any other IP in my LAN. Maybe I miss some part between VPN router and our LAN network.

Posted: 05-20-2020, 12:57 PM

Hi Vladan:

Please open a TR and we can help you further.

Once you open a TR, we can look at your logs and if need be request a remote session to help you .

Thanks.

Leo

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy