Easiest way to upgrade Console GUI on local desktop

Last post 05-22-2020, 8:35 AM by stefan.vollrath. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Easiest way to upgrade Console GUI on local desktop
    Posted: 05-20-2020, 2:04 PM

Hello everyone,

I have the Console GUI installed on my desktop and the versio is so old it's causing problems so I need to upgrade it.  Under the Support menu at the top is a "Check for Updates" button that doesn't do anything.  What's the easiest way to get the locally installed console updated?

Ken

• Re: Easiest way to upgrade Console GUI on local desktop
    Posted: 05-20-2020, 3:27 PM

It appears the only way to check the version of the Console GUI installed on the local desktop is by running regedit and navigating to:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\Updates\701\UpdatePacks

To upgrade the locally installed Console, follow the instructions on https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp10/article?p=deployment/media/t_download_media.htm

Go to https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/home

Click Media Kits on the left > Click Download under the most recent version of CommVault and download to your local desktop > Sign on

File Commvault_R80_SP19_24March20.exe downloads

Run the file from the downloads folder on your desktop > Extract the file to C:\Program Files\Commvault\installer

The installer starts automatically

Choose language > Accept the license agreement > Install packages on this computer > Install Service pack (??) > got message: Setup detected that an older version of this software is installed on this computer. Version 11 SP14 will be upgraded to Version 11 SP19 > option "Select latest Hotfix package" > Finish

Go back to the regedit window to check for the updated version.

Man, it sure would be nice is the Check For Updates button worked.

Posted: 05-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Although installing the CommCell GUI is possible, I STRONGLY encourage you not to do it given that there is a much safer way to deploy it without being version dependent.

Distibute the netx.jar bootstrap and download OpenJDK 11.x.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=3838.htm

Posted: 05-21-2020, 6:35 AM

I use the installer to create a package for the latest Console, then put that into SCCM and send it out.

Regards

Guy
    Posted: 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM

Thanks Anthony.Hodges.   I've downloaded netx from the store and copied it to C:\Program Files\CommVault on my desktop.  Then I copied netx.jar from my CommServer and put it in C:\Program Files\Commvault\netx.  I can double-click on netx.jar and open the Console GUI.

Question:  Is there a way to add netx.jar to the Start menu so I can run it like a normal application?

Ken

Posted: 05-21-2020, 2:53 PM

You can create a shortcut with path as "java -jar c:\whatever\netx.jar". Then when it starts you can pin it to the task bar.

Posted: 05-21-2020, 3:20 PM

Perfect.  Thanks.

Posted: 05-22-2020, 4:50 AM

Hi Anthony

Tried out netx.jar back with SP14 and now downloaded new one for SP18 since it doesn't seem to have an update-feature for the jar itself (yet). Any suggestion on how to keep that up to date on the Clients?

Found that I have two Folders "Commcell Console" and "CommCell_Console" with a total of about 2.1GB in my User-Profile now, one contains old SP14 Versions, one the new SP18 Console. Do you know of any plans for a cleanup routine for no longer needed (f.E. outdated or not used for x days) Console Versions?

Have 9 CommCells usually running the same Version hand HotfixPack. Love the Version independence of this solution during the weeks of upgrades. But after that the design seems a bit wasteful with diskspace. Maybe a future Versoin will download and maintain the Consoles by Version instead of by CS, saving space in homogenous Envs. Know other Vendors that go even further and only download and keep the files differing between versions to bring the footprint even more down.

Hope Dev reads coments like this :-) Thanks in avance for your reply.

Stefan

Posted: 05-22-2020, 8:04 AM
    Yes sp14 once off used OpenJDK 10, the releases since then have used 11. So it does mean that you need to keep an eye out for changes in that space.
    Posted: 05-22-2020, 8:35 AM

Version of JDK doesn't matter for the executing JRE side, as long as the required VersionLevel is supported it should run.

Was able to load SP18 Console with an netx.jar from SP14, is is somewhat cross-compatible. Still not sure how to ensure Admin and Customer use the latest Version of it to get the rest of the Console. netx.jar does have bugs on it's own, updating those is an open problem to me.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy