Don't start or queue new job if the same job is already running?

Last post 06-01-2020, 4:36 PM by Hemant. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Don't start or queue new job if the same job is already running?
    Posted: 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM

Hi all,

Is there a setting or combination of settings which would make sure there's only ever one instance of a scheduled job in the job manager at the same time?  We have a FileSystem job which runs every hour, but sometimes there's more data so it runs for several hours, so several instances of it queue up behind it.

Thanks!

Sheree

• Re: Don't start or queue new job if the same job is already running?
    Posted: 05-27-2020, 7:32 PM

If you open the Commvault CommCell Console (Java UI), then open its Control Panel -> Job Management -> Un-Tick Queue Schedule Jobs.

More can be found here,

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp18/article?p=6399.htm#o120439

Posted: 05-27-2020, 9:16 PM

Wow. No... That's definitely not what I was asking.

What I'm looking for is a way to not start new backups of the same job.  For example, I have an hourly schedule to back up server 001 with subclient ABC.  But that job occasionally takes multiple hours, and  I don't want the schedule to start a second, or third, or fourth, instance of that same job.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted: 05-27-2020, 9:23 PM

Some of us just want to help. If this sort of attitude continues, I would say that many of us here will leave you to your own devices.

Posted: 05-27-2020, 9:31 PM

I apologize... I'm usually already frustrated by the time I post here, and then every single time, I have to ask the same question twice because everyone answers a question I didn't ask first.  Every. Single. Time. Can you also see how that would be incredibly frustrating for me?  Can you please try paying attention to what other people are saying instead of skimming or assuming?

Posted: 05-27-2020, 9:40 PM

Your conduct here for a long time has ben hostile. If you cannot control that, then I sugest raising the issue with a support ticket or look into further advancement via Commvault training.

Posted: 05-28-2020, 11:22 AM

Sheree,

By default we don't queue the conflicting job when another job is running. Please confirm whether following option is set 

Control panel  -> Job M'ment  -> General option 

1)  Queue jobs if other conflicting jobs are active

2)  Queue Scheduled job.

If so we need to deselect these option. Let us know if that is not the case.

Hemant

Posted: 05-28-2020, 11:33 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 07-08-2020, 11:17 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,851

The default setting is to kill a new job when there is already a running job. 

On the General tab, select the queuing options:

• To queue jobs if they conflict with other currently running jobs, select the Queue jobs if other conflicting jobs are active check box.

For example, jobs are queued if multiple backup operations are running for the same subclient.

• To queue jobs if the activity control for the job type is disabled, select the Queue Jobs if activity is disabled check box.
    • To queue scheduled jobs, select the Queue Scheduled Jobs check box.

Scheduled jobs will start in the Job Controller in a queued state at their scheduled time. Manually resume these jobs, or clear the Queue Scheduled Jobs check box to resume the scheduled jobs automatically.

Posted: 05-28-2020, 12:38 PM

Hi Hemant and Liam,

Yes, the Queue jobs if other conflicting jobs are active is already ticked.  It was like that when I inherited this CommCell, so I've never seen what happens when it's un-ticked.  I'm hoping for an option that simply prevents simultaneous instances of a job from being created at all, queued or not.  Will un-ticking Queue jobs if other conflicting jobs are active prevent multiple instances of the same job from appearing in Job Manager at the same time?

Edit:

I've read the documentation here:
    https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=6308.htm

... it's just that it only covers what happens when the box is ticked, not when the box is un-ticked. LOL.

Thanks!

Sheree

Posted: 05-28-2020, 12:41 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 07-08-2020, 11:17 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,851

The job will populate and then be automatically be killed as the other job already is active. 

Posted: 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM

Aplynx:

The job will populate and then be automatically be killed as the other job already is active. 

Ah, okay... Thanks! I'll try that, then.

Posted: 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM

Sheree,

By default  "Queue jobs if other conflicting jobs are active" is off. 

By unchecking this option we would get the default product behaviour which is to NOT queue the 2nd job when conflicting job is running.  The 2nd job id will be created and marked with status "failed to start" and would automatically go away from Job controller after some time.

Hemant

Posted: 05-31-2020, 3:32 PM

Is there any way to suppress all these 'can't start a job because a job was already running' error messages in the web reports?  I tried looking for an Additional Setting, but maybe I wasn't searching for the right thing.

Posted: 06-01-2020, 4:36 PM

No Sheree. There is no addtional setting for that. 

Hemant

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy