Backup Filter being ignored

Last post 06-26-2020, 11:52 AM by JohnFLi. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backup Filter being ignored
    Posted: 06-04-2020, 11:35 AM

I have 2 jobs (well severeal, but for the purpose of this issue, I will say 2)

Job 1 backups up   \\serverName\shareName\WebFiles

Job 2 backups up   \\serverName\shareName\   (and on the filter tab i have \\serverName\shareName\WebFiles   

(For the purpose of not backing it up becasue I have another job backing it up due to that directory being 8 TB)

If I go to "Browse/restore" of Job 2, I am able to not only browse to  "\\serverName\shareName\WebFiles"   but also all if it's subdirectories. 

Basicly meaning that Job 2 is backing it up also, and as a result, wasting a bunch of time when I have other jobs that are waiting their turn.

Any ideas on to WHY it is backing up a directory that I told it not to?

• Re: Backup Filter being ignored
    Posted: 06-26-2020, 10:36 AM

Hi JohnFLi

That doesnt sound right to me, if i understand what your saying correctly try Configuring the contents of the subclients as:

Job (aka subclient) 1 \\serverName\shareName\WebFiles\

Job (aka subclient) 2 \\serverName\shareName

commvault doesnt backup twice under a single agent so you dont need the filter in job 2

let me know if this works :-)

Posted: 06-26-2020, 11:03 AM

Hi John,

which vendor are you protecting these volumes? if Netapp we can do multiple streams withing the same volume now. I am assuming you are breaking it up to different subclients to distribute the load?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=19631.htm

see more info in link below but as Stuart mentions we automatically filter out child paths in other sub-clients.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=19647_1.htm

Guidelines

• Use filters only if absolutely necessary. Filters can decrease the performance of backup operations.
    • Filters are case-sensitive.
    • When a backup operation is performed on a subclient, child paths from other subclients are automatically filtered

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 06-26-2020, 11:52 AM

Job (aka subclient) 2 \\serverName\shareName   ---filtering was set to exclude \Webfiles  (and several others)

what was happening is when Job 2 would run, it was backing up items that had been filtered out.

The problem did get corrected.

Apparently, on the DataStorage device, there is some random setting that (default is 5) will only accept the first X number of filters and after that, it ignores filters.    (what that purpose is, i have no clue)

SO I set it to it's max  (50)

All is good now.    Saves from backing up a few TB a week.

Thank you for your input.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy