Restore SQL using Out of place restrore.

Last post 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM by Sunny48. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Restore SQL using Out of place restrore.
    Posted: 06-11-2020, 11:55 AM

I have multiple SQL servers and wish to preform an Out of Place restore of a database to another SQL server. 

The purpose is to work on this DB for reporting, so it may be come a regular task. I am wondering if there may be another option.

Also, performing this task would provide practice in case the need arises.

After performing the task I was not able to attach the DB to the SQL server I restored too. I did change the name the SQL DB during the restore.

I have confirm that I have permission to the SQL servers and folders.

Below is the message I received when trying to attach the DB. I am checking with MS support.

Any input on performing this task would be very helpful. Thanks

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'D:\SQLDATA\T_Borrego.mdf'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5123)

• Re: Restore SQL using Out of place restrore.
    Posted: 06-14-2020, 9:44 PM

Hi DBartman,

Make sure that NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER has full control on the directory that you chose to restore to.

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'D:\SQLDATA\T_Borrego.mdf'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5123)

David

Posted: 06-15-2020, 11:54 AM

incase it does not have permission to in that location , there is an option for impersonate user while performing the resore , you can use a different user also which has permission to that destination path. 

Also D:\SQLDATA is a local File system or mounted on D drive. I has similar issue on mounted drive where I had to create the destination folder manuall and then the restore was working .. GPO was blocking the permission for us. If D:\SQLDATA is not present .. create the folder and give a try It may work.

Posted: 06-17-2020, 3:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, I did the impersonate and that worked. thank you

Posted: 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM

please mark the therad as resolved if issue has been addressed

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy