Best practice to have keep backup on secondary location.

Last post 06-25-2020, 2:06 AM by JasonO. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Best practice to have keep backup on secondary location.
    Posted: 06-24-2020, 10:34 PM

Hi guys, want to get some opinion regarding the best practice of keeping backups on a secondary location.

Previously I tried to use auxiliary backup method and keep secondary copies of my full backups off site. However this method doesn't work due to my current backups are Online Full backups & not selective fulls thus selective copy doesn't work for my environment.

Since I prefer not changing the current backups to selective online fulls, I created another subclient and schedule another full backup to a different backup storage. I understand that by doing this method I'm actually running 2 times of full backups for a single subclient.

Is it okay to do it like this?

• Re: Best practice to have keep backup on secondary location.
    Posted: 06-24-2020, 11:25 PM

Hi JasonO

Rather then configuring two subclient and backing up the Online Full Backups twice which would result in additional capacity license consumption. 

You can actually consider setting up Replica Library - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9560.htm

For disks that are replicated to another disk in real-time (using either hardware replication or any third-party replication tools), the mount paths from both the primary and replicated disks must be configured as a disk library. In such a configuration, the data written by the primary MediaAgent will have read-write access, while the MediaAgent accessing the replica will have read-only access.

Hopefully this helps 

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 06-25-2020, 12:01 AM

Hi Winston,

Good option indeed, however my primary library is a VTL while the secondary is configured as disk thus replica library can't apply here :(

Posted: 06-25-2020, 12:37 AM

Hi JasonO

I see, that does make it a bit more tricker. 

Maybe converting to Selective Online Full would be a better option, and the process is relatively straight forward - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=20227.htm

Regards

Winston

Posted: 06-25-2020, 2:06 AM

Yeah, but I'm kinda worried if it will impact any of the current backup kept in our storage. Since up until now we're using regular online backups if I just select 'Selective full' will that causes our previous backups non recoverable?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy