SAP for Oracle questions

Last post 07-16-2020, 6:35 AM by Adhav. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SAP for Oracle questions
    Posted: 06-29-2020, 4:22 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am recently working with Oracle client and want to understand difference between Oracle and SAP oracle.In the environment, we have few Oracle running for SAP and few are not.

If the SAP application running with Oracle, I have to select SAP for Oracle.

• Is the only checkpoint to select SAP for Oracle? 
    • Is there any drawback or possible data lose or feature loss, if I had chose generic oracle iDA for SAP application?
    • Do I want check anything from DB team (Patch/DB Requirement) prior to choose iDA?
    • Can I migrate generic Oracle to SAP oracle post installation. Or, if I reninstall the iDA, how the Data restore happen for previous backup
    Thanks,
    Manikandan
  • Re: SAP for Oracle questions
    Posted: 06-29-2020, 7:02 AM

The difference between the Oracle and SAP Oracle agents is the way the backups are made.

The SAP Oracle agent is using the SAP Backup/Recovery tools (BRTools) for creating backups, while the Oracle agent is intereacting directly with the Oracle database.

If your DB Admins prefer to use the SAP BRTools like brbackup and brarchive for creating backups, you should use the SAP Oracle agent. If they are using just rman, you can use the plain Oracle agent.

Furthermore it also depends on how your Oracle database is licensed and who is providing support. If the Oracle databases are licensed through SAP and you get support from SAP for your Oracle database, it's better to choose for the SAP Oracle agent, because that's what SAP is supporting for backing up an Oracle database.
    If the databases are licensed directly from Oracle, it's better to use the Oracle agent, because Oracle will most likely not support the use of BRTools for backing up the databases.

• Re: SAP for Oracle questions
    Posted: 07-16-2020, 6:35 AM

Hi,

Sounds great, thanks for your response.

Mani

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy