to switch mount path for active Job

Last post 07-07-2020, 2:07 PM by Eomall. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • to switch mount path for active Job
    Posted: 07-04-2020, 3:14 PM

Hello.

Is it possible to switch mount path that the active backup Job uses as current path for a data placement to another mount path that accessible on the datapath of storage policy?

Dmitry (Dmytro)

• Re: to switch mount path for active Job
    Posted: 07-06-2020, 3:13 AM

Update.

More accurately, the question is: is it possible to get CommServe to re-balance the streams of active jobs over mount paths that belong to the data paths of the storage policy that the Jobs use?

Posted: 07-06-2020, 10:50 AM

you can suspend the jobs and later resume them, that will assign job-streams according to the balancing set on the StoragePolicy, MountPaths and Library. Switching DataPaths while the Job is running probably wouldn't make much sense.

What would be your goal in that? maybe I miss some crucial detail.

Posted: 07-06-2020, 11:21 AM

With spill and fill opiton on library, all mount paths will be used and balanced across jobs.

Posted: 07-06-2020, 6:32 PM
    Hi Stefan,

1. Yes, I do this: I suspend and resume jobs, it works.
    But there is one serious problem: when this method is used for backups of VMs, the backup of a specific VM
    is not suspended, but is restarted, therefore this method is not so acceptible for jobs that back up of VMs with very large vdisks.

2. Let me tell you what kind of problem I have in mind when I ask about this possibility of forced
    switching of mount paths for the active job.

I have 2 MAs with a shared disk library that has 8 mount paths. Half of them are the preferred mount
    paths for MA #1, the other half are preferred for MA #2. I made a “classic” GridStor configuration with
    two storage policies , as in example No. 1 here:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=10870.htm. My policies are both under the same global ddup policy.

In this way, jobs are distributed between MA #1 and MA #2 and places the copy streams on the
    appropriate mount paths, which are preferred for MA, which is used in the default data path of the
    storage policy. But sometimes the distribution of streams between mount paths is not optimal.
    For example, a virtual machine has 2 v-disks, the job creates 2 streams and for some reason places
    them together on one mount path, and does not distribute them along 2 mount paths, while other
    mount paths (which are the preferred for this MA ) are free. The "Spill and fill mount paths" mode
    is configured for this library, of course.

Best regards,
    Dmitry (Dmytro)
    Posted: 07-07-2020, 2:41 AM
    The "Preffered" Flag is ignored under certain circumstances, don't expect it to be honored all the time.
    Placing Files of the Same VM on the same MountPath should be by design, to ensure all data is in one place and can easily be indexed and recovered. The Multistreaming is just to improve read performance.
    Spill and Fill also does not go for use same amount of streams on each available MountPath, it puts more streams to less filled Paths first instead.
    Posted: 07-07-2020, 2:07 PM

You could try this:

Go to the Library the job is using in the Java GUI.

Right click the mount path

Click release reservation.

See if the job jumps mount paths.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy