Email notification for new update

Last post 08-17-2020, 3:05 PM by Madhu. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Email notification for new update
    Posted: 07-08-2020, 4:08 PM

Hello Forum,

After we initiate a update of Commvault agent on users computers/laptops, we want to send notification to them. I create Alert with all necessery elements (Criteria selection, Notification type..) but when come to Users and Groups Selection we stuck. We tray to  put different groups, but only Admin got email when put "Admin" or "master" in "To" field.

Is there any catch how to send email notification to users when theirs computers had a new updates installed? I even make a new group (named "Employee")  and for members I put "Domain users", but still there is no notification.

Thanks.

• Re: Email notification for new update
    Posted: 07-10-2020, 2:00 AM

Here is some screenshots from our settings.

1. Alert notification

2. User group with all users

Posted: 07-30-2020, 4:10 AM

Hi vladan

The approach you are going through looks to be correct

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=5273.htm

You are using the Software Update (Alert Category), I think what is missing are the Alert Token

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=5446.htm#o113676

Maybe give the following token a go

<OWNER EMAIL>

<OWNER NAME>

Regards

Winston

Posted: 07-30-2020, 4:41 AM

Hi Winston,

I can try that, but the strange is that if I put Admin or master into "To" the administrator will get that notice. But when I put Group name "Zaposleni", users not get that notification:

Here is a option to add Token:

Posted: 08-17-2020, 3:08 AM

Hi vladan

For the "To" option you will need to manually enter each of the email address separated by semi-colon. I don't believe it will work with Group names

If the requirement is to use Group names, might be worthwhile to check with Commvault Support to see if this is possible

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 08-17-2020, 1:15 PM

Hi Vladan

Are you waiting for suggestions in autocomplete dialog or are you typing group name completely? May i know if it is user group manually created or whether its AD domain user group? 

Thanks

Madhu

Posted: 08-17-2020, 1:44 PM

Hi Winston,

When I put my email address in "To" I get email. That I figured. But when I put "master" into field, email get users who are into "master" group. As I notice that I try to make user group named "employee" and put all users in (drag users from list). But then NO one get email notification. Then I try to put "View all" group into "To" but seams when I have all users NO email notification. I then remove all users from list and add one by one when want to test it. Some of them get notification, some not. Maybe there is a limit of how many users will get email notification. Maybe this alert is not made for what I want to use.

Regards, 

Posted: 08-17-2020, 1:59 PM

Hi Madhu,

As I say to Winsto, there is some automatic maded user group. Some have list of all "laptop users" and some I try to add by "Domain users". In both way email notification is not working.

Seams the notification stuck at some point where need to check on which user it should be sent. 

Idea is, when I push CV software update on clients machines, to they receive email notification that there is sucessed software update (or even if there some error or massage). The client who had update will get notification, the users who not (offline) will not get notification until they CV agent get update next time they are online.

Maybe the idea of this kind of alert notification is not maded for this, but I think will be useful for users to be informed if there is CV update.

Regards,

Posted: 08-17-2020, 3:05 PM

Hi 

Can you please escalate TR with commserver DB and logs along with configuration where email recipients are not correctly expanded from user group? We will check 

Thanks

Madhu

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy