Metadata traffic for remote Commcell Console / Commandcenter access

Last post 09-21-2020, 3:29 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Metadata traffic for remote Commcell Console / Commandcenter access
    Posted: 09-11-2020, 2:43 AM

hi all,

maybe someone can help me with this question.
    customer wants to set up a worldwide serving commcell in germany.
    commcell console / commandcenter packages installed in remote locations also in apac for example.

how much traffic over the WAN connection does this generate having admin teams doing configurations on the local installed consoles compared to a RDP connection to the commserve and doing the configuration on the system itself?

thanks in advance
    Sebastian

• Re: Metadata traffic for remote Commcell Console / Commandcenter access
    Posted: 09-14-2020, 8:14 PM

Hi Sebastian 

I am assuming that you are planning to do a Push Install/Update from one region to another - if that is the case, it depends on the packages that you would like to install and the size of the package will be what is used over the WAN. 

Alertnatively you can create a custom package and manually copy it to the Destination CommServe Server and install it locally (which will minimize all the WAN usage). 

Corret me if I am wrong with the above understanding of your issue?

Kind Regards

Winston

Posted: 09-15-2020, 2:54 AM

Hi Winston,

thank you for your reply.
    sorry for my misleading description. it was not the roll out of agents that i meant.

i mean the actual configuraton of commvault - daily tasks and reporting for example.
    if that causes lot traffic instead of being remoteley on the commserve doing this tasks on the local console.

kind regards,
    Sebastian

Posted: 09-21-2020, 3:29 AM

Hi Sebastian

Technically there should be minimal activity across the WAN, as the request are just API calls, whereas the actual processing of the operations are handled directly on the CommServe Server. 

A way to verify the amount of potential traffic is to setup Windows PerfMon on the Destination Client running the Commcell Console and filter on the JDK process (targetting network utilization) and then see after 24 hours how much traffic is actually sent through the network to see what daily utilization looks like 

The only thing I can think of that could potentially consume more network bandwidth is if you were generating report (every few minutes), and downloading it across the WAN while using the CommCell Console

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy