Tape 'size of stored data' metric - what does it really mean?

Last post 09-29-2020, 9:03 AM by Dataprotectionshow. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tape 'size of stored data' metric - what does it really mean?
    Posted: 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM

Hello experts,

I have a question on the 'size of stored data' statistic one sees when viewing tape library media, and what it actually means.

Scenario 1:

I have a backup subclient that I setup to write directly to tape .. a storage policy where the primary copy is on tape, no disk-library involved.  The SC has 1.7TB of content, and after the backup completes and I look at the tape cartridge (assuming it used a new/empty cartridge), it shows the 'size of stored data' as 1.7TB. It all makes sense.

Scenario #2:

I run the exact same backup subclient to a different storage policy which has a disk library (in our case, on a hyperscale) as the primary copy, then is setup with a secondary copy for tape.  The SC backup to the disk lib shows it backed up 1.7TB of application data (though only a comparatively small amount was actually 'written' due to dedupe).  Next I manually run an auxcopy to make the tape copy.  Afterthe auxcopy completes (again, assuming it selected a new/empty tape cartridge), the 'size of stored content' for the aux tape media shows ~470GB of data.  How can that be?  I would think that for aux-to-tape that the source data would have to be completely re-constituted/re-hydrated.  In other words, the aux job should have sent 1.7TB of non-deduped, non-compressed to be written to the tape drive.  Am I wrong here??  What am I not understanding in this, or is the 'size of stored content' metric not what I think it should be?

One reason I'm asking this is that in scenario #1, the backup-to-tape takes ~2hrs to complete, whereas in scenario #2 the aux-2-tape was taking about half that time.  Something seems odd here, and it's probably just something I don't fully understand.  I do know the tape data is indeed recoverable as I've done that before in testing.

Thx in advance for any replies

• Re: Tape 'size of stored data' metric - what does it really mean?
    Posted: 09-29-2020, 9:03 AM

Is Hardware compression turned on on all Data Paths involved in each copy?

Right Klick Primary Copy -> Properties -> Data Paths -> Property -> Hardware Compression,

do that for all Copies.

Thanks

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy