Multi stream restore for databases

Last post 10-06-2020, 3:14 PM by Sandy11. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Multi stream restore for databases
    Posted: 09-29-2020, 8:56 AM

I do sql/oracle backup to disk with 6 streams and then aux copy them to tape without combining streams.

Now in future if i have to restore from the tape copy, will i need 6 parallel tape drives or a single tape drive can handle the restore without staging to disk?

• Re: Multi stream restore for databases
    Posted: 09-29-2020, 2:28 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 10-22-2020, 6:26 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,751

Hi Sandy11

For Oracle it doesn't matter.   It will work that way with no problems.   For SQL you may have to stage back to disk to perform the multi stream restore (unless you have 6 drives available for restore from tape)

Here is the link in the docs that describe multiple streams for MS SQL:
    https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=18168.htm

Just the nature of SQL I guess.  Oracle does not have any limitation in that respect.   You can use 6 streams to back up and 1 for restore.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 09-30-2020, 8:51 AM

Thanks for clarifying this.

Posted: 10-05-2020, 6:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Confirming that it is the nature of SQL and if combine to streams is not used we will need to have 6 parallel streams to restore directly into SQL Server. If combine to streams is used, we will stage the data back to Job Results (or staging directory if set with additional setting) in order to create all of the backup devices (i.e. .bak files) to allow restore from all devices simultaneously.

You can actually avoid this by performing an AuxCopy back to a disk location and then adding bDisableAuxCopyRestore additional setting to the client: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bDisableAuxCopyRestore%22&id=4328

Note that when you add this, use the MSSQLAgent category instead of Sybase.

Regards,

David Dwyer

Posted: 10-06-2020, 3:14 PM

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy