Is an Office365 mailbox unique when recreated?

Last post 10-07-2020, 10:01 AM by mstruening. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Is an Office365 mailbox unique when recreated?
    Posted: 10-06-2020, 8:56 AM

Hi,

We backup Office365 mailboxes and was wondering Commvault's behaviour on two scenarios (clients are able to restore messages themselves):

1. A user mailbox is backed up by Commvault. The user leaves the organization, his/her mailbox gets erased in Azure (not only disabled). The user comes back year(s) later and the same user mailbox is recreated in Azure by the admin.

1.a. Would Commvault consider this as the continuation of the before-existing mailbox and gives the user access to the previously archived messages or

1.b. Commvault uses a unique ID apart from the mailbox name to identify the user mailbox?

If 1.b, how can the user gain access to the previously backed up contents to do a restore him/herself?

2. A mailbox was disabled/deleted before the migration to Office365 from on-prem. We have the PST backups containing the on-prem user mailbox. When the user rejoins the organization, how can the mailbox contents be made accessible to the user for self-service restore?

Thank you in advance,

Zoltan

• Re: Is an Office365 mailbox unique when recreated?
    Posted: 10-06-2020, 4:40 PM

Hey Zoltar,

Thanks for the question!

Let me know if these line up and answer your questions:

1) Azuere will issue a new GUID

1a) CV will see it as a new MB altogether

1b) moreso unique due to the GUID from O365

1c and 2) Best bet is to restore Out of Place to a PST and physically provide that to the user. 

Any in place restore of the 'old' backups will fail because the GUIDs don't match, so any restore of 'old' into 'new' will ahve to be out of place.

Posted: 10-07-2020, 2:41 AM

Hi mstruening,

Thank you, I suspected the same but didn't find any documentation on the subject. Smile

Zoltan

Posted: 10-07-2020, 10:01 AM

Great!  

Let me see if I can get this added to our documentation.  There's a little chat icon on every page that you can use to provide feedback.  I definitely encourage using it to bring attention to items you'd expect to find on that page, but can't.  The documentation team are always hard at work improving everything, so your feedback helps them focus efforts!

thanks again, Zoltan!!!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy