Duplicate VMware guid for vms. How to handle after san snapshot recovered VMs.

Last post 10-15-2020, 10:58 AM by shravani chepuri. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Duplicate VMware guid for vms. How to handle after san snapshot recovered VMs.
    Posted: 10-14-2020, 12:38 PM

I've recently recovered some VMs from SAN snapshots and they wound up with the same GUID values as the originals, which are still registered in my vCenter.  

Commvault has detected this and logged the following in the Event Viewer

Detected virtual machines [xxxxx] on [vmw13.yyyyyy] and [xxxxxx-2020-09-22-0344] on [vmw13.yyyyy] are using the same unique identifier [4220b9a2-1331-2de7-a999-40fe3569f10e].  Please correct the duplicates and update the subclient content.  Additional information on the duplicate IDs can be found in the vsdiscovery.log.

How exactly should I resolve this?

• Re: Duplicate VMware guid for vms. How to handle after san snapshot recovered VMs.
    Posted: 10-14-2020, 2:23 PM

Could you please let us know the Simpana version details ? 

Please follow the below If it's V11 and upgraded from V9.

If VM backups are done using BIOS Guids can cause this issue.  This can happen if VSA instance is upgraded from V9 and its left with BIOS Guids,  Please run the below qscript after upgrade to enable to use Instance Guid. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/cli/qscripts/CommServ.QS_SetUseInstanceGUID.Readme.html

• Re: Duplicate VMware guid for vms. How to handle after san snapshot recovered VMs.
    Posted: 10-14-2020, 2:51 PM

While it's true that I started out from v9, I don't think that matters for this issue because I'm pretty sure I do in fact have duplicate guids.

Posted: 10-14-2020, 3:24 PM

VMware has BIOS Guids and Instance Guids both assigned for the VMs. There is a chance that BIOS guids can be duplicate but the instance Guids will be always the unique, So that is the reason we started using instance Guids for our backups from V10. but we have to manually run the provided qscript for the upgraded environments to swicth the backups using from Bios Guids to instance Guids.

Posted: 10-15-2020, 10:41 AM

I think I see what you're saying now.  How do I determine whether it is appropos?

Posted: 10-15-2020, 10:58 AM

Please verify this from vsbkp.log on VSA Proxy machine. This tell that the backups are done using Bios GUIDs so that you can use change it to use instance Guids using the script provided.

"vsAppMgr::querySettingsForInstance() - Using VM Bios UUIDs"

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy