Replacing the active media for job [] from Mount Path [] to []

Last post 10-19-2020, 4:14 PM by mstruening. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Replacing the active media for job [] from Mount Path [] to []
    Posted: 10-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Good morning everyone,

Over the weekend I received an anomaly email from CommVault that I hadn't seen bebore.

The system detected events that are unusual in occurrence or frequency in inf-srv57.

Server

Event time

Event

Occurrence

Anomaly type

inf-srv57

2020-10-10 18:13:17

Replacing the active media for job [410868] from Mount Path [[inf-srvp210] K:\] to [[inf-srvp210] M:\].

Occurrence

A quick Google search didn't turn up anything useful.  Does anyone know what's going on here?

Ken

• Re: Replacing the active media for job [] from Mount Path [] to []
    Posted: 10-13-2020, 2:41 PM

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the post!

Can you check the free space on K:? Or at least what the space was at the time of the alert (since space could have freed by now)?

Without context, it's likely that K:\ ran out of space for the job, so it switched to M:\.  The event is just letting youknow.

If not space related, it could be related to other resources so we'd need to check the log files for more detail.

Thanks!

Posted: 10-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Yes, that's the problem.  My storage at the remote DR site is 95% full.  Weird that CommVault never sent out an alert about that.

Ken

Posted: 10-16-2020, 5:15 PM

That is interesting.  Was it one drive within the library or the entire library?

I suspect the former, which is why the alert didn't trigger (the overall library had enough space).

The original alert you shared is similar to when a tape fills up and the job stream moves onto another.

Posted: 10-16-2020, 5:32 PM

The media agent is configured with "Spill and fill mount paths" to balance the load and the "Prefer mount paths with more space" option is checked.  Right now my four drives have 5.5%, 6.0%, 2.5%, 7.4% free space.  Not all are the same size so the overall free space is 5.0% (i.e. 95% full). 

Like I said earlier, a warning from CommVault would have been nice.  I'm now going through non-production servers and deleting files from log and InstallMedia folders to try and free up some space while I wait for manager approval to buy more storage.

Ken

Posted: 10-19-2020, 9:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.

If possible, let's look at these 2 items:

1) What alerts do you have for Libraries out of space (and then we can look into other configs or options)?

2) What does the Data Retention Forcast and Complaice report say about jobs on that library?  You might have something blocking the expected pruning (old clients no longer running, etc.) that might clear things right up.

Posted: 10-19-2020, 3:25 PM

I have the following alerts enabled:

>  Analytics - Low Disk Space

>  Insufficient storage in Library

>  Low disk space on client

>  Scale out of disk health

As an side, I've just had to send an email to my manager telling them about this:

Insufficient storage on library

CommCell: inf-srv57

Type: Media Management - Library Management

Detected Criteria: Insufficient Storage

Detected Time: Mon Oct 19 05:21:18 2020

• Library Name: DRMSA
    • MediaAgent Name: inf-srvp210
    • Media/Space left (excluding reserve space): 0 Bytes
    • Condition Cleared: No
    Posted: 10-19-2020, 4:14 PM

Ken,

Thanks for replying!

Let's look at each of you of your alerts one at a time.

Default Alerts:

Alert Name

Alert Category/Type

Description

Analytics - Low Disk Space

Operation / Event Viewer Events

This alert notifies the CommCell administrator when the index location used by the Analytics Engine has reached 80% of the total available disk space.

Insufficient storage on library

Media Management / Library Management

This alert notifies the user when there is no spare media in a library, or if the number of spare media for the scratch/cleaning pool in a library falls below the watermark.

For disk libraries, the alert is sent if the disk space falls below the watermark or if there is insufficient disk space.

Low disk space on client

Configuration / Clients

This alert notifies the user when the disk space for the client software installation and system directories (including the Job Results folder) reaches the minimum thresholds. For more information, see Configuring Alerts for Low Disk Space.

You can configure the threshold for the client software installation and system directories using additional settings.

You can configure the threshold for the Job Results directory on the CommCell Console in the Client Computers properties dialog box. For more information, see Setting the Minimum Free Space for the Job Results Directory.

This alert monitors all the client computers in the CommCell.

Custom Alerts:

ScaleOut Disk Health Rule

Use this alert to monitor the health of drive(s) attached to an HyperScale storage pool and generate the alert when a drive failure is detected. Drive failures due to IO test failures, S.M.A.R.T Health issues, and/or offline gluster daemons are detected. Install this alert rule from the Commvault Store. See Installing Alert Rules from the Commvault Store.

User Permissions

Associated Entities

Criteria

Description

Administrative Management

CommCells

MediaAgents

Monitor the health of Hyperscale drives attached to a MediaAgent, and generate the alert when a drive failure is detected.

To see the tokens available for this alert, see Alerts and Notifications - Tokens.

Of these 4, The first alert is for the Analytics Engine, the second for Client space (for Log files, etc.), and the third monitors the Hyperscale Hardware.

The second alert is the one that would help us here (by design).  Do you know what the Watermark for the Library is?

Details on checking/modifying are here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9319.htm#o114976

Regarding the recent alert, we should run a Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report to see what jobs are not pruning, and why:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=39787.htm

If you are in an emergency, I would open a support ticket for quicker help.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy