when to use Cloud Storage Pool

Last post 10-28-2020, 2:09 AM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • when to use Cloud Storage Pool
    Posted: 10-20-2020, 2:59 PM

Good afternoon all --

I'm trying to find some good info about when to configure and use a Cloud Storage Pool and when to just stick with using individual (but redundant?) media agents. The online documentation tells me *how* to create a Storage Pool, but not *when* I should do that (in what cases would I pick #2 over #1?) or what its benefits are.  Here's my scenario:

I have two Media Agents built in my Cloud Provider that both have access to the same cloud storage libraries.  Each MA has a DDB partition.  I see that Commvault has already created a "Cloud Storage Pool" for each of them that each contain only themselves and their primary storage library.

Should I create a Cloud Storage Pool that contains both Media Agents in order to provide redundancy for the clients they're backing up?  The alternative is to just have one MA be the "primary data path" and I can add the other MA to the Storage Policy as an "alternate data path"

Or is this just two different ways to accomplish the same thing?  What's the benefit of using the Storage Pools?  Feel free to point me to any documentation that would explain all of this.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide.

• Re: when to use Cloud Storage Pool
    Posted: 10-28-2020, 2:09 AM

Hi Andi_c

In regards to Cloud Storage Pool and DDB partition, the main purpose of both:

• Option 1 - if you create separate DDB for each of the Cloud MA, these are still separate components and Backups will only write to the associated DDB. If the MA is down then you will be completely down 
    • Option 2 - if you create a DDB with both the MediaAgent (configuring through Cloud Storage Pool), you will be creating a single Global DDB where it writes to both the MA partition. The benefit of this way is if one MA is offline you can still backup using the other MA, as the other MA still has an active partition and have access to the Cloud Library.
    In short by creating a Partition DDB you are adding resiliency to the environment so Backups can still run if one MA is impacted

Regards

Winston 
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy