Extended Rentention Rule for Tape Backup

Last post 10-22-2020, 1:34 PM by mstruening. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Extended Rentention Rule for Tape Backup
    Posted: 10-21-2020, 1:18 PM

Hello, is there any way to have a tape copy only run every Month or Quarter and not have to set the Basic Retention? We use intellisnap backups, we do a local snap (7 days) > Vault (90) > Tape. Right now we have to tape for 30 days and Quarterly full is Infinite. Is there a way to run the tape backup copy "monthly full infinite" and not run daily copies that store data for 30 days? Do we just set the Basic Retention Rule days to 0?  

Attachment: ERR.jpg
  • Re: Extended Rentention Rule for Tape Backup
    Posted: 10-21-2020, 2:43 PM

It sounds like you want to set up anther Aux Copy (Selective) for Monthly Fulls:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11490.htm

Look at Selective Aux Copies specifically.

Posted: 10-21-2020, 3:50 PM

Are you saying that I should have selected "Selective Copy" on the tape copy? Right now its Primary.

Posted: 10-21-2020, 4:40 PM

I believe you are referring to the source being Primary.

I'm refering to creating an entirely new Aux Copy apart from this one.  When you create the Copy, you enable the Selective Copy option which allows you to ONLY copy the fulls per month/quarter/year, etc.

This way, you only have the required jobs on the set of tapes.

Posted: 10-21-2020, 5:09 PM

I see what you mean. Create a new copy and mark it selective, disable data aging and set the quarterly fulls. However when I try this, it tells me "invalid library" and won't accept it. Maybe I cant use the library twice under the same Storage Policy? I also cannot delete the original tape policy, it tells me I have to delete the entire SP.  

Posted: 10-21-2020, 6:01 PM

You got it.  Once the intended quarterly jobs are copied from the existing Aux Copy to the new one, you can likely disable the Extended Retention for those intended fulls (but if you don't ened the tapes back yet, just let them age on their own).

You can absolutelty use the same library twice, so that's not the issue.  I'm wondering if you only have 1 Tape Drive (so you can't copy from 1 to another)?

Is there more to the error?

Tell me about the Primary Copy itself and the existing Aux Copy.

What library do each use?  Are the Deduplicated?  If so, is the Storage Policy using a Global Dedupe policy?

Posted: 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM

There is not more to the error. Just says invalid library and I close the window. The Tape drive only has one drive. 1. Local Snap, 2. Vault Copy (Selective Copy) 3. Tape Copy (Primary Copy) I cannot create another copy it appears I have to create a whole new storage policy.

Posted: 10-22-2020, 1:34 PM

That mnakes sense.  You can't make an additional copy of a tape to a tape with only 1 drive.

Going down your Copy list:

1. Local Snap

2. Vault Copy (Selective) - Is this the new one you are creating or did it exist?  If it existed, what is it using as its source?

3. Primary to Tape - This clarifies.  You can't copy a tape to a tape with only 1 drive.

You may already have the best confuguration set up for your environment.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy