Design question: Backup to cloud - on-premise data copy

Last post 11-19-2020, 8:37 AM by jolalop. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Design question: Backup to cloud - on-premise data copy
    Posted: 11-19-2020, 8:37 AM

I am designing copy long-term and disaster recovery copies in Amazon S3 and I have doubts about how to design the secondary copies.Primarily copies, for the short-term, are held on-site in a deduplicated disk library for 30-45 days. Restores are very infrequents.

My first approach is to create a secondary copy with deduplication, and send the data to a cloud library configured on an S3 bucket.The cloud library is configured using combined storage class (S3-IA/Deep Glacier). This copy will be a Weekly select copy and then apply extended retentions. Basic retention to 180 days to prevent EarlyDelete on Deep Glacier, monthly retentions to 385 and Yearly to 1825. My first concern is the size of the DDB using extended retentions (CV recommend seal the DDB each 6-12 months so maybe this is not a big problem). Because the use of extended retentions, copies will the retained until the longest retention and producing mixed contents;The advantage I think is that the first baseline will be almost the same for each retention copy.

My second approach is to create a secondary copy with deduplicacion for each retention, so three DBs: one for Weekly, Monthly and Yearly and create three different S3 buckets for each retention.
    The three cloud libraries configured using combined storage class (S3-IA/Deep Glacier).
    Copies will be selective, each retention per copy. The advantage I think is that the DDB will be sized to the rentetion copy, optimal performance.The disadvantage is the first baseline will be uploaded three times.

The last approach is similar to the last one, but creating only one S3 bucket.
    Here I have doubts if when creating three DDBs, and only one cloud library, you will upload the baseline three times, or will upload it only once.

Can someone recommend me the best option given this scenario?

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy