Media Agent Replication Setup Needed?

Last post 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media Agent Replication Setup Needed?
    Posted: 02-15-2011, 4:18 PM

I am trying to backup data at a secondary office to tape, because the primary office does not have a tape library.  To that end, I setup a shared magnetic library that both Media Agents (Primary & Secondary office) can see, along with thier mount points.  However, I am replicating my data via NetApp filers (snapmirror).  The issue I am having is when my AUX job runs, it goes into a waiting state and tells me "Unable to get source MediaAgent. Media is not accessible from data path selected."  From what it looks like, it's trying to connect to the MA in office 1 and backup from it's mount point instead of looking to the MA in office 2 and it's mount point. 

Does anyone know if my setup will work, and what the possible cause might be? Or should I have setup Media Agent Replication to accomplish what I am trying to do?

So, what works is backing up the data from the client to magnetic disk share on a Netapp in office 1, then replicating that data between offices.  What does not work is the AUX copy from the magnetic share on a Netapp in office 2 to tape.

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Media Agent Replication Setup Needed?
    Posted: 02-16-2011, 8:31 AM

If replication is happening outside of CV, I dont believe aux copy will have the correct data path to aux the data on the secondary site.  Media agent replication (SDR) should be configured, so you can replicate data from primary to secondary office, and setup the aux copy to use the secondary pffoce media agent (since its setup as shared magnetic library) and it should pull the replicated path as the source for the aux. 

Posted: 02-17-2011, 3:17 PM

When you configured your maglib, you need to create a shared device with two paths: one with read/write access to the MA1 in the primary and one with read only access to MA2 replicated disk in the Secondary. Data Path configuration should be 'Used preferred path" and both MAS should be in Data Paths.

MA1 and MA2 must be able to communicate with each other and they must have a Shared Index Cache. (or in V9, MA1 should be an Indexing Server)

The Aux Copy should be configured with the MA2 as the default data path, data path configuration is 'use preferred path.'

You do not have to do anything with CDR (SDR or DDR) in this scenario.

DR Donnie
    --------------
    There's an evil monkey in my CommCell!
    Posted: 02-18-2011, 2:14 PM

Thanks.  I know right off that they are not using shared cache, so I can change that.  Also, I did not add BOTH MA's in Data Paths...giving this a try.

Posted: 02-20-2011, 9:57 AM

drdonniec_v:

When you configured your maglib, you need to create a shared device with two paths: one with read/write access to the MA1 in the primary and one with read only access to MA2 replicated disk in the Secondary. Data Path configuration should be 'Used preferred path" and both MAS should be in Data Paths.

MA1 and MA2 must be able to communicate with each other and they must have a Shared Index Cache. (or in V9, MA1 should be an Indexing Server)

The Aux Copy should be configured with the MA2 as the default data path, data path configuration is 'use preferred path.'

You do not have to do anything with CDR (SDR or DDR) in this scenario.

This assumes that snapmirror is properly replicating the chunks in their entirety.  I'm not saying that it doesnt (because i honestly dont know if snapmirror supports all extended attributes), but since dedup mag chunks do have sparse streams/ranges, they must be replicated as they sit on the source, in order for aux copy to do its thing.  I can say factually SDR can do this.

Posted: 02-23-2011, 4:10 PM

TC: Please let me know if that works, it should!

Vincenzo: Ahhh.. didn't know the chunks had sparse ranges. I would think SnapMirror would support all the extended attributes, but definitely not sure. I'm going to research that!

DR Donnie
    --------------
    There's an evil monkey in my CommCell!
    Posted: 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM

drdonniec_v:

TC: Please let me know if that works, it should!

Vincenzo: Ahhh.. didn't know the chunks had sparse ranges. I would think SnapMirror would support all the extended attributes, but definitely not sure. I'm going to research that!

You could use the following command on windows; FSutil sparse queryrange "filename" to check both source and dest chunks for the matching ranges.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy