Any way to chain job start times?

Last post 01-23-2020, 6:45 AM by bumblebee. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Any way to chain job start times?
    Posted: 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM

I have an FS iDA client that backs up to SP1.

I have an Exchange iDA client that also backs up to SP1

I have a VSA iDA that backs up to SP2 which is a maglib on the MA that SP1 goes to tape on.

What I'd love to be able to do is to "chain" jobs so that the FS iDA backs up, then the Exchange iDA and when that finishes the VSA backup kicks off - essentially it's to do with resource contention and how my Exchange backups runs stupidly slow if it's running at the same time as my FS IDA backup - I believe this is simply because the FS iDA is grabbing all the resources.

Is there a way of doing this?  Scheduled jobs don't quite seem flexible enough as if my FS iDA finishes at, say, 5am, there's no point waiting until 11am for the Exchange iDA job to start, but I can't schedule the Exchange iDA job for 6am because if the FS iDA is still running it'll slow it down.

I'm hoping if we move to disk and 9.0 SSD that much of this will go away, but is there any way of using some sort of "When Client A finishes start Client B"?

Thanks,

Paul

• Re: Any way to chain job start times?
    Posted: 03-12-2011, 12:17 PM

There is no scheduler option that is able to do this, however using resource management you can get something close.

The basic idea would be to allocate streams on your storage policy so that only one job can run at a time. That way, if you schedule the Exchange backup at 6AM, but the filesystem backup is still running the Exchange backup will still wait for the filesystem backup to finish and release resources before continuing.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 03-12-2011, 1:00 PM

Thanks, and that is what I used to do, pretty much schedule the jobs so that I knew that one would start a short while after the other and because the first job was set to use all the resource, the second job would queue.

I've also been able to do a little to release streams for important jobs using priorties on the schedules.

What I'm finding now is that having replaced a file server with a beefier one, it seems it's throughputing data at such a rate that even with a free multiplexing slot the Exchange backup just runs really really slow.

It's a resource contention issue as if I run the Exchange backup by itself it runs at normal speed, it's only when the primary file server is backing up, hence the query about ways to queue jobs.

Posted: 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM

what you mention Paul could be a nice feature though, but can have its limitations.  It would be nice to be able to schedule jobs using the schedule policies but also be able to say once this job finishes start the next one, rather than at say 7pm all the jobs kick off together leading to resource contention.  What SReents says about using the resource management is how we get around it at the moment, but the option to be able to control the job exectution would be good.

But i can also see the downside in that lets say server 1 never completed and hung for some reason, then server 2 would never kick off and get backed up so you could have a situation where you come in to the office in the morning and things havent been backed up from the night before.

Posted: 01-23-2020, 6:30 AM
    I had a similar requirement , i could achieve this by scheduling workflow :)
    Activities > Qcommands > Operation > Backup and
    Activities > Job > WaitforJobCompletion
    but you may need one workflow for each client, so is not a good solution if you have a bunch of clients.
    My logic was FS backup will start at a scheduled time, workflow will start 10 minutes later, now "Backup" activity.In the workflow will find the active job id and using "WaitforJobCompletion" activity, i can make workflow wait for the FS job to finish, upon completion, i will trigger backup using "Backup" module , then put "waitforjobcompletion
    A schedule needs to be attached only for the first subclient/backup and for the workflow.
    Note: I see this post is from 2011 Innocent Sealed
    Posted: 01-23-2020, 6:45 AM
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy