Upgrading 8.0 VSA to 9.0 - Pre-requisites?

Last post 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM by Willie_F. 19 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Upgrading 8.0 VSA to 9.0 - Pre-requisites?
    Posted: 04-11-2011, 1:03 PM

I have a 2003 r2 x64 combined MA/VSA.

Today I've upgraded our CommCell to 9.0 SP1b but I've left everything at 8.0 SP5 whilst I check the basics still work.

In BOL I don't see any pre-requisites listed for the 9.0 VSA, so I'm not clear whether I should do anything with the vmware convertor and VDDK that I had to install to get VADP backups with 8.0.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks,

Paul

• Re: Upgrading 8.0 VSA to 9.0 - Pre-requisites?
    Posted: 04-11-2011, 4:10 PM

Upgrade the VSA/MA to v9 sp1b, and then download the latest VDDK and install it (V9 does come with vddk 1.1 i think, but 1.2.1 has additional logging for the CV folks to help you out if you have any failures) .  If you are still using VCB then also install converter. 

Posted: 04-12-2011, 2:04 AM

Hi Paul,

try this.

If installing VDDK1.1.1 or higher on 64-bit operating systems, the following steps must be performed:

1. 1.    VDDK 1.1.1 must first be installed on the proxy server to its default location.

For example, C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit

1. 2.    Create a new folder and point it to the path below on the proxy computer.

For example, C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\

1. 3.    From the VDDK x64 installation directory C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\bin, unzip the vddk64 folder to a temporary location. Once unzipped, copy the bin, lib, and plugins folders to the new folder created in Step 2.
    2. 4.    Create the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\InstallPath

with the following string value: (this should be the path created in Step 2)

“C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit\”

It works fine at a couple of customers from me

Regards

Cees

Posted: 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Hi Paul

You should use VDDK1.1.2 instead. It works better if you have Windows 2008 servers

Posted: 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM

You mean 1.2.1?

Posted: 04-12-2011, 1:47 PM

Hi Paul,

it musst be 1.2.1

Regards

Cees

Posted: 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM

Thanks, it already was 1.2.1.

This VSA upgrade has gone shockingly badly.  The actual upgrade appeared to go fine, pop in DVD, upgrade, apply SP1b manually, apply post SP1b updates from CommCell.

Only problem is that firstly the upgrade re-associated the default subclient with a different storage policy, which was nice of it.  So when I tried to an incremental backup (I hadn't spotted this at the time) it went a bit mad.

Once I spotted the problem I changed the association so of course, now I have to run a full backup...

The full backup keeps failing at various points.  Commvault support aren't being much use so far and say that the logs point to networking - seems rather odd that nothing at all has changed except upgrading the MA/VSA (combined server) from 8.0 to 9.0.

Not very happy quite franky.

Posted: 04-13-2011, 1:12 PM

Hi Paul,

There are more problems with the upgrade. I think that CommVault has made a mistake to bring simpana9 too soon.

Regards

Cees

Posted: 04-13-2011, 1:53 PM

cho:

Hi Paul,

There are more problems with the upgrade. I think that CommVault has made a mistake to bring simpana9 too soon.

Regards

Cees

I can't really comment on that, but obviously it's very concerning to have gone from a working 8.0 SP5 setup to a fully patched 9.0 setup and find that not only has a subclient randomly changed its assigned storage policy, but the subsequent forced full backup from changing it back simply won't complete - nothing different anywhere other than the VSA upgrade.

Just trying to get some form of backup using something else for now.

Posted: 04-13-2011, 1:57 PM

Paul Hutchings:

cho:

Hi Paul,

Regards

Cees

I can't really comment on that, but obviously it's very concerning to have gone from a working 8.0 SP5 setup to a fully patched 9.0 setup and find that not only has a subclient randomly changed its assigned storage policy, but the subsequent forced full backup from changing it back simply won't complete - nothing different anywhere other than the VSA upgrade.

Paul - When you upgraded with Simpana 9, it probably overwrote your 1.2.1 install in the *:\Program Files\Commvault\Base\VMWARE folder --but that may not be the issue.

The CommCell is at Simpana 9 and the MediaAgent with the DDB is at v9 too?

DR Donnie
    --------------
    There's an evil monkey in my CommCell!
    Posted: 04-13-2011, 2:03 PM

drdonniec_v:

Paul Hutchings:

cho:

Hi Paul,

Regards

Cees

Paul - When you upgraded with Simpana 9, it probably overwrote your 1.2.1 install in the *:\Program Files\Commvault\Base\VMWARE folder --but that may not be the issue.

The CommCell is at Simpana 9 and the MediaAgent with the DDB is at v9 too?

CommCell and MA are 9.0 (MA and VSA are same box).

I have my VDDK in C:\Program Files (x86) from the expanded .zip as per the install docs though?

I'm pretty sure it's not something fundamental as I am getting backups, this last job run it went fine for just over 7 hours and backed up around 30 VM's and then screwed up midway through a 400gb VMDK so just fails the entire job.

That seems to sugest "somthing" other than a wrong VDDK version doesn't it?

I intend to install a new MA/VSA tomorrow but let's just say we're also having some fun with license keys, so for tonight I must get some form of backup hence just using something/anything else.

Posted: 04-14-2011, 10:23 AM

To build a brand new 9.0 VSA other than OS/hotfixes, prior to installing Commvault, AIUI can anyone confirm I just need:

VDDK 1.2.1

Convertor 4.0.1 Standalone

VCB

I'm a little confused that the BOL prerequisites suggest all this is needed, yet the VSA seems to install its own VDDK?

Our vSphere is 4.1, all at HW v7 so all our backups will be VADP, nothing using VCB.

Thanks,

Paul

Posted: 04-14-2011, 10:46 AM

AFTER installing commvault install VDDK 1.2.1.

Based on your last statement since everything is HW v7, then only the VDDK will need to be installed.  Since the agent installs VDDK 1.2, do the 1.2.1 installer AFTER.

Posted: 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

AFTER installing commvault install VDDK 1.2.1.

Based on your last statement since everything is HW v7, then only the VDDK will need to be installed.  Since the agent installs VDDK 1.1, do the 1.2.1 installer AFTER.

Thanks Vincenzo.  Not that I doubt you but that suggests the BOL install guide is inaccurate then - anyone from Commvault care to confirm?

Do I still need to do all that copy/paste and registry editing of the VDDK stuff and set the "InstallPath" registry key?

Sorry if I appear pedenatic but I really do want to get this one right.

Paul

Posted: 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM

@Paul - Vincenzo is correct

The registry settings should still be in place if it is the same box.

If this is a new box then you will  need to install the VDDK and copy the 64bit binaries to the commvault\base\vddk folder on the VSA. This is still because VMware is not installing the 64bit version.

No registry settings are required.

Some recommended registry keys are the following as they will increase the number of vixdisklib log files since VMware changed the logging to verbose on the VDDK.

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\EventManager
    Registry Type: DWORD
    Registry Name: VixDiskLib_MAXLOGFILEBACKUPS
    Registry Value: 20 (Decimal)

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\EventManager
    Registry Type: DWORD
    Registry Name: VixDiskLib_MAXLOGFILESIZE
    Registry Value: 10 (Decimal)

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
    Posted: 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks Willie, you may want to update BOL Smile

Posted: 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Willie_F:

<snip> 

Some recommended registry keys are the following as they will increase the number of vixdisklib log files since VMware changed the logging to verbose on the VDDK.

<snip>

Willie,

Do we know of anyway to force the logging verbosity down in the VDDK?

It must be at the highest verbosity possible, I get about a day worth of activity even with increased logging.

DR Donnie
    --------------
    Posted: 04-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Willie_F:

<snip> 

<snip>

Willie,

Do we know of anyway to force the logging verbosity down in the VDDK?

It must be at the highest verbosity possible, I get about a day worth of activity even with increased logging.

DR Donnie
    --------------
    Posted: 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Willie_F:
    If this is a new box then you will  need to install the VDDK and copy the 64bit binaries to the commvault\base\vddk folder on the VSA. This is still because VMware is not installing the 64bit version.

Presumably you mean extract the vddk64.zip file and delete/replace all of the existing contents of the commvault\base\vddk folder?

Posted: 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Yes that is correct.

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy