Re: SP2 is released...

Last post 05-05-2011, 3:17 AM by jkj. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Re: SP2 is released...
    Posted: 04-15-2011, 3:36 AM

What a nonsense is happening at Commvault development.
    Do I really Backup the Data I want to Backup with Simpana 9 ?
    Commvault delivers Service Packs with errors and new features.
    I am really upset of how Commvault treats their customers.
    Every update and ServicePack in Simpana9 since today has errors,
    does not remove known errors and causes failures and a lot of work.
    Seems there is no sufficiant quality check.

Please stop that kind of development !
    This is not very customer friendly.

Posted: 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Dominik,

To be honest I don't understand what you're asking for in this thread and what it has to do with Service Pack2.

Are you reporting a specific problem with SP2? We've had over 300+ deployments in the first day and not seen any incidents, however I am interested in what you've found.

Please let us know and if you have complaints outside of SP2 please contact me sconnington@commvault.com

Posted: 04-15-2011, 11:47 AM

dominik khd:

What a nonsense is happening at Commvault development.
    Do I really Backup the Data I want to Backup with Simpana 9 ?
    Commvault delivers Service Packs with errors and new features.
    I am really upset of how Commvault treats their customers.
    Every update and ServicePack in Simpana9 since today has errors,
    does not remove known errors and causes failures and a lot of work.
    Seems there is no sufficiant quality check.

Please stop that kind of development !
    This is not very customer friendly.

I understand where you coming from, but I think you need to keep things in perspective. Yes, I've had errors and frustrations but I've never dropped below a 94% sucess rate.

Not to wave the Commvault flag like a fanatic, but really, try getting fast updates, new features, and customized enhancements from EMC or Symantec.... good luck.

DR Donnie
    --------------
    There's an evil monkey in my CommCell!
  • Software Feedback
    Posted: 04-18-2011, 9:48 PM

Hi Stephen,

I agree that these comments are more general and not related to SP2 and maybe a new thread to discuss these issues should be opened, however I totally agree with the comments made regarding poor quality control and introduction of new bugs/issues with almost every release.  I don't know how a claim of 300+ deployments without incidents could be believed, as this kind of stuff has not been limited to v9 only. 

My opinion is that CommVault should stop trying to be all things to all people in the immediate term, stop producting glossy sales brochures that promise the world (and neglect to mention all the associated provisos, exclusions etc) and focus on getting the basics working. 

We have raised 13 new support calls in the first week since the v9 upgrade (SP1b) not to mention calls we've had open with v8 for 12 months+.  Some of these calls simply indicate thorough testing has not been performed - as does the constant proliferation of patches.  I have a list of probably 20 v8 issues that I couldn't be bothered going though the pain of raising calls for as they just disappear into the black hole of "MRs" and don't get traction.  I can provide many specific examples.

I understand all backup products have their quirks/issues/limitations and as I've used a number of them and there are some things CommVault does very well, but I have never dealt with such a bug ridden "Enterprise Class" one.  Maybe this has just been my experience, or just that other folk running CV have very small or Windows-centric deployments only. 

• Re: Software Feedback
    Posted: 04-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Hello jkj,

Going to start a new thread with this post and title it "Software Feedback" but feel free to change it and folks can start a discussion here.

Please remember the intent of the other forums is for more of a technical exchange, however the feedbackarea should be a place for our customers to come and discuss our software both good and not so good.

Posted: 04-19-2011, 12:03 AM

Yep, understood Stephen.  I just didn't want to have someone else's valid concerns dismissed as there's very likely many other customers in the same boat. 

I've tried to provide feedback in a lot of different ways but not much seems to change in terms of support processes and product/development/code release, so wondering if something more "public" may help?

Should I list specific examples in here?  I could go on for hours ...

Posted: 04-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Hello again jkj,

No worries - I am not trying to over-moderate these forums and I want all customers to find value in posting their experiences with the product positive or negative.

You can communicate directly with out product management and development managers/executives by submitting your feedback to https://services.commvault.com/mainadv/feedback.asp - when submitted that content is sent to a large distribution to review.

This board is primarily a support driven entity and while we do forward all feedback posted here on to other teams within CommVault we are more geared to supporting our customers than discussing product vision. Basically we come in after the bread is baked Laughing

We are here to help and I understand after reading your post that the upgrade experience was not a pleasant one. If you're still having issues let us know how we can assist and I will do the needful to have those issues investigated/resolved.

If I am interpretting your post correctly the questions you have are a bit more big picture and broader scope with regard to our development/product management strategy. Those questions can be addressed by your local Sales/System engineer team and they should be able to open a dialogue between you along with respective parties in CommVault to hear what you have to say and answer your questions/inquiries in a timely manner.

Posted: 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Basically I think the product is not quite baked yet - still a bit doughy!  I don't see it as mature enough to be used in large and complex environments.  Performance is generally poor, too many sales "features", not enough delivery of quality. 

I don't know how many times we've been told that we're the first customer experiencing a particular issue or that the product is operating "by design" and that it's not a TR it's an MR ... or "that bit is coming in V9 or V10" etc.  Maybe we're just on the bleeding edge of features and functionality (or more likely just trying to use the product beyond it's design scope).  Other products I have used don't necessarily promise all the same features, but the fundamentals worked and worked well.

Once again, this has been my experience and maybe I'm "the only customer in the world experiencing this issue" ... or maybe customers just beaten into submission and accept that is the way it is and try to workaround the problems.

Would like to hear other's feedback. 

Posted: 04-29-2011, 2:53 AM

Yes, couldnt agree more with whats been said here.  In the past i have suffered all the above and have discussed this in great detail with VPs in the states and India, heads of departments in AUS and local teams.  We did make some good progress in trying to address the current processes which, when i left the company who used CV, they had improved on since last year but there is still someway to go.

Im now with a company who doesnt use CV so in some respects i am glad that i dont have to struggle with the many hours of support the product required and do hope they back to the reliable and stable platform it was back in v7 from memory.

Posted: 05-05-2011, 3:17 AM

We are escalating as much as we can currently to try and get some sort of acknowledgement that the poor code / quality is costing us big time; then to have something actually done about it. 

So much time spent on support calls and dealing with bugs that just shouldn't exist.  I went back through maintenance advantage the other day and realised we've raised about 150 support calls since end of March last year.  The odd ticket may just be lack of product knowledge or an admin error of some sort, but the majority appear to be genuine bugs or product limitations.

Sometimes I wonder if our prod environment is the global test site for the product :(

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy