CommServe DB on a separate SQL server ?

Last post 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM by fraggeln. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CommServe DB on a separate SQL server ?
    Posted: 04-22-2011, 1:11 PM

I tried searching for this topic and didnt see it in the documentation either, but I apologize if this is a common question.

I am going to be upgrading to Simpana 9 soon and was curious if I could move the database to a different machine and just run my CommServe, connecting to a remote box that actually hosts the database.

If so - this other server HAS to be SQL 2008 I assume ?

Thanks !

• Re: CommServe DB on a separate SQL server ?
    Posted: 04-22-2011, 2:23 PM
    Posted: 04-22-2011, 2:28 PM

Rocky,

For 9.0 it does need to be SQL 2008.  Any particular reason you want to have the seperate config? 

Posted: 04-22-2011, 4:21 PM

I think I'm going to just keep everything on a single machine afterall, it was more of an exploration of options.

My new Commserve for 9.0 is going to be a VM, and to help with the resources I was going to look into housing the database elsewhere - but I don't believe I have a SQL 2008 DB server in place to utilize, so I think I'm best off just keeping everything on the VM and cranking up the resources as need be.

Thanks for the link - I hate when I miss that stuff in documentation !  I swear I tried to RTFM first !

Posted: 04-22-2011, 4:39 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the update.  Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

JW

Posted: 04-25-2011, 9:10 AM

SomeGuyNamedRocky:

I think I'm going to just keep everything on a single machine afterall, it was more of an exploration of options.

My new Commserve for 9.0 is going to be a VM, and to help with the resources I was going to look into housing the database elsewhere - but I don't believe I have a SQL 2008 DB server in place to utilize, so I think I'm best off just keeping everything on the VM and cranking up the resources as need be.

Thanks for the link - I hate when I miss that stuff in documentation !  I swear I tried to RTFM first !

Since you mentioned resources, you can have the DB on separate disk, which is surely achievable by having the database on a VMDK that sits on another datastore, while the OS and app data sit within a VMDK on another datastore. 

Posted: 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Do note that if you move the database to another machine besides the CommServ, it will prevent the automated DR-backup to work and you need to manually create a sql-dump-job on the new sql-machine.

Regards

Tobias

- In Life Unbeatable - In Death Irreplaceable -
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy