Moving from ARCserve to CV using the same tape library

Last post 05-10-2011, 10:54 AM by scooterge558. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Moving from ARCserve to CV using the same tape library
    Posted: 05-08-2011, 9:42 PM

Hello all,

I am trying to work out the best way to migrate a tape library (SL500) from ARCserve to CV. The library is currently configured into virtual library pools, by drive type using all available tape slots. This was doen using the ARCserve software not at the library level.

I now need to use at least one drive and some of teh tape slots for CV backup as we start to migrate from ARCserve to CV9. Does anyone have any experience of doing this migration with ARCserve? If so do you have any tips for this migration?

From the documentation it looks like you have to delete the existing virtual libraries to reconfigure it. Does this cause issues with existing backups? Once deleted I can recreate the virtual library with one drive and a reduced number of slots. I susect that this will then allow me to use the drive and slots in CV but can't find too many details on any other settings that are required to make sure that both solutions can use the library at the same time. My main concern is the impact on deleting the library has on the backup jobs.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Re: Moving from ARCserve to CV using the same tape library
    Posted: 05-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Although I've never gone through a migration from ArcServe to CV I can tell you this, I have partitioned my tape library. When first moving to CV from BE we had two partitions on the library, now the library's interface let us configure that, and as we moved more clients over to CV we'd move the partition a little, with no effect on either side. The question is can you partition it from the library itself, and whether ArcServe will let you continue to backup to a partitioned library.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy