Don't cross the streams!!

Last post 05-23-2011, 4:52 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Don't cross the streams!!
    Posted: 05-15-2011, 9:38 PM

Ok, now that I got the obligatory Ghostbusters reference out of the way, I have an actual question.  I have several servers being backed up to a media agent.  Each of them employs multiple readers but it's all being funneled into one disc library.  On my aux copies to tape I'm combining streams to two so that both of my tape drives get utilized, however, 95% of the data is one server.  Consequently, a little bit of data from one server for one stream is written to a tape drive and then that tape drive goes dormant while the one remaining tape drive chugs and chugs away on this one huge copy.  I've also noticed that it won't start using any of the drives that have finished processing their stream until the entire set of streams that was started is complete (which I've heard others report as well).  Is there any way to make better use of my tape drives because it's slowing down both the aux copies and the data verifications?  Thanks.

Just my 1.4 cents (after taxes)
  • Re: Don't cross the streams!!
    Posted: 05-23-2011, 4:12 PM

Maybe stream randomization would help this instance along.

Posted: 05-23-2011, 4:39 PM

Ok, I enabled that for the SP and tuned the stream randomization settings a little since we don't back up all that much data.  Will see how it goes.  Thanks.

Just my 1.4 cents (after taxes)
    Posted: 05-23-2011, 4:52 PM

Nice keep us posted!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy