I am having a similar issue.
DELL ML6000 tape library, IBM Ultrium-TD4 tape drives, HP server running
Windows 2003 32-bit, FC attached single initiator/single target, Brocade Fabric. This ran for years and all of a sudden April
26th it decided to stop working.
I have been working on the issue for two weeks now and have pretty much exhausted
all possible cause and was ready for a rebuild until I read this forum.
Here is what is happening to my tape drives. They initially scan the SCSI bus and report
back the serial number and WWNs to CommVault; I run the scanscsitool.exe to
confirm. Then when I run an AuxCopy the
tape drives disappear, run scanscsitool.exe again and the serial number and
WWNs have disappeared as well… CommVault
uses the serial number as the unique identifier for communicating with the tape
drives! So when CommVault can’t communicate
it writes the media as BAD.
Around the time this started happening will applied Microsoft
patches to the server, will also applied patches to CV to Simpana 9 SP2. The first thing I tried was to back out all
patches to a point where the library was writing data to tape… I did not fix the issue. I then reapplied all patches up to date,
still no go.
I had updated the Emulex HBA firmware and drivers to the
latest version, it is an HP branded card so I used HP approved drivers. The tape drives were flashed to the latest
DELL approved firmware and device drivers.
Still no go!
I tried making the drives persistent in the OS via the
registry. Did not do anything… I have worked with six DELL technicians over
the last two weeks and we tried everything under the sun. They said to contact HP because they were at
a loss. I can send more info on what we
I did try Emulex drivers and firmware – non-HP branded as
well as the newest IBM Ultrium-TD4 tape drivers – non-DELL apporved. The Emulex drivers were fine. The IBM drivers fixed the problem with the
Tape serial number and WWNs disappearing however it would hang the server, so I
backed those out to version 184.108.40.206, tried again and the drives disappeared
I am still at this point and have nothing left but to
rebuild the server on new hardware to rule that out…