Are PnP libraries supported when MA is a VM?

Last post 05-31-2011, 3:41 PM by vecch. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Are PnP libraries supported when MA is a VM?
    Posted: 05-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Hi,

If my Media Agent is a Virtual Machine running on a VMware ESXi4.1 server and I connect a USB drive to the VM, will I be able to configure a PnP library on that MA and backup to the USB drive?

If yes, can I do the same but with an eSATA drive instead of a USB drive?

Thanks,

• Re: Are PnP libraries supported when MA is a VM?
    Posted: 05-23-2011, 3:25 PM

If the USB or esata is emulated to the VM i dont see why this wouldnt work.  I supposed this would be similar to a physical RDM, but note that if this VM is backed up this drives data will not likely be captured.

As long as you can go into disk management and see the disk, it should be able to be configured as a mag lib.

Posted: 05-30-2011, 2:54 PM

Thanks Vincenzo.

As a maglib yes, but can I configure it as a plug & play maglib?

I want to backup to an external SATA drive, disconnect the drive and plug it into another MA and restore from it.

Robert

Posted: 05-31-2011, 3:41 PM

Robert,

I believe the following registry key will get you there...

Windows HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance<xxx>\
    Unix Not Applicable
    NetWare Not Applicable
    Key MediaAgent (standard)
    Value bSupportPnPSATADrives (optional)
    Value Type (Windows only) DWORD Value
    Valid Range 0 or 1
    Default Value 0
    Created in User-created on the MediaAgent computer
    Description This key is used to detect removable SATA drives (non-OS system drives) as PnP libraries.

This key is not created by default. Manually create this key and set the value to a '1' to detect SATA system drives as PnP libraries. Setting this key to '0' will detect the SATA drives as removable drives.

Additional Information You may find additional information in PnP (Plug and Play) Disk Libraries - Configure a PnP Disk Library.
    Applies to PnP libraries configured in the MediaAgent in which the registry key is established.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy