What backup level are people running fir virtual server ida and vdap?

Last post 01-03-2011, 8:38 PM by sssstew. 17 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • What backup level are people running fir virtual server ida and vdap?
    Posted: 06-28-2010, 1:12 AM

File, disk or volume and what are your pros, cons and results like ?

Currently backing up about 80 virtual servers using windows ida and looking for guidance.

My initial testing sees that I am not gaining any real performance increase even though it is using the SAN.

Thanks,

TC

• Re: What backup level are people running fir virtual server ida and vdap?
    Posted: 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Tim,

What is your recoverablility requirement?  If you need the ability the restore the entire machine back into ESX, disk level is your only option.  Using the collect metadata option also provide granular recovery, so you get the best of both worlds.  Furthermore, with VADP the requirement for the "storage tank" is no longer needed for disk level backup, so in most cases this would be the desired method.

Posted: 07-05-2010, 1:14 AM

yeah agreed, we do disk level with metadata collection (so dont use a schedule policy as its not an option in there), this allows for full VM recovery and also individual files if needed.

Posted: 07-06-2010, 1:42 AM

Has anyone tested teh Volume level backups.

My results are a little inconsistent, but in general it would appear that volume level is much faster.

I'd love to hear others experience.

Happy to test configs for people if they have questions.

TC

Posted: 07-07-2010, 3:07 PM

So there is no way to select the metadata option from a schedule policy?

Posted: 07-07-2010, 4:10 PM

@ipman - Simpana v8.0 does not have a specific Virtual Server Agentschedule policy option at this time. Because collect metadata is an option at the backup level specific to this agent it will not be enabled when using a Generic schedule policy.

Your best bet at this time is to schedule VSA at the subclient level with the desired options until we have a schedule policy for this agent type.

Posted: 07-07-2010, 7:47 PM

yeah we had to set the schedules on the sub clients themselves.  tis a shame, hope that can be fixed soon.

Posted: 07-12-2010, 2:11 AM
    TimCanning:

Has anyone tested teh Volume level backups.

My results are a little inconsistent, but in general it would appear that volume level is much faster.

I'd love to hear others experience.

Happy to test configs for people if they have questions.

TC

Depends. Volume-level essentially cracks the snapshot open and does a backup like file system agent, but still provides ability to restore both as a vmdk file and individual files.

For flexibility and fast sequential throughput I stick with Disk-level backups. Helps a lot though if you can get over to vSphere4 / vStorage API / change block tracking - with that enabled you'll find a large improvement in performance over VCB method..
    Cheers,
    Luke
    (@cv_skywalker)
    Posted: 07-12-2010, 9:22 AM

sssstew:

yeah we had to set the schedules on the sub clients themselves.  tis a shame, hope that can be fixed soon.

Since collect metadata collection is the default option, the generic schedule policy will still collect metadata.  I've tested this and it works as expected with the latest updates (18179)

Posted: 07-12-2010, 9:57 AM

We're currently looking into vSphere 4, Still on 3.5.... ugh....

Posted: 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM

If you have VMWare ESX 4, you can backup using VSA.  You don't need the space requirements of VCB if you are doing disk level backups.  That's the methodology we are using and it's working pretty well for us.

Posted: 08-04-2010, 4:09 PM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

Since collect metadata collection is the default option, the generic schedule policy will still collect metadata.  I've tested this and it works as expected with the latest updates (18179)

Is this confirmed?

Posted: 12-22-2010, 1:52 PM

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am testing backing up some vms using disk level through a schedule ploicy and I don't see the vm file system contents available in a browse.

Posted: 12-22-2010, 3:37 PM

pdrace:

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I am testing backing up some vms using disk level through a schedule ploicy and I don't see the vm file system contents available in a browse.

If you use a legacy schedule policy (from a prior version) it wont work.  Create a new one and try, it does work.

Posted: 12-23-2010, 5:40 PM

Volume level is a lot quicker, not sure why. It looks like some of the fussing around with downloading from VmWare doesn't go on in the logs (but that could be verbosity.)

I am doing VADP of 83 VMs, SAN Mode. I allow 5 Snaps per instance. The Volume Level backups fly, the Disk Level backups are ridiculously slow at first, but seem to ramp up near the end.

Also notice the Client Side Dedupe doing a lot of work on the VS Proxy during Disk Level. I am thinking about disabling it, since it is a MA with a Dedupe Database on good disk anyhow. (V9)

DR Donnie
    --------------
    There's an evil monkey in my CommCell!
    Posted: 12-23-2010, 7:13 PM

So what speed are people seeing?

We used to run VCB over SAN and got about 77gb per hour then moved to VADP and get about 288gb per hour over SAN, but apparently it should be higher....

Posted: 12-24-2010, 9:33 AM

Turning off client side dedup may net an improvement (so it would be interesting to see the speeds)  Depending on the performance difference you may need qualify the space savings vs speed (keep growth in mind here)

Stew, is your SAN ISCSI or FC?  Also what speed is it as you will get anywhere between 300-360gb/hr, on 1gig speeds.  Based on your 288gb your in the right ballpark of 1gb (assuming 20% protocol overhead), so it might come down to slight tweaking or investigating the disk end of the equation.

Posted: 01-03-2011, 8:38 PM

SAN is FC, 4gb.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy