Installing Simpana 8 on Exchange2010

Last post 05-25-2011, 9:15 AM by Davbeee. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Installing Simpana 8 on Exchange2010
    Posted: 05-23-2011, 5:51 AM

Hi All,

Simpana 8

I am just about to migrate from exchange 2003 on server 2003 to exchange 2010 on Server 2008 - I currently back-up exchange File Sys, Database, Mailbox, Public and Web Folders.

Now I understand going from 32 bit server to 64 bit server then simpana needs a few registry tweaks and Multi Instance maybe from what I have been reading?

Anyhows I try accessing commvaults page on this (though it's for simpana 9 and exchange 2007, I think it would be the same?)

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/snap_backup/exchange_database/deployment_2007_32_server_64off_cluster.htm

and the page cannot be found.

So my question is does anyone know of a link to a walk through on what I am trying to achieve or any other pointers.

Thanks in Advance

David

• Re: Installing Simpana 8 on Exchange2010
    Posted: 05-23-2011, 8:08 AM

The first thing to note is that we do not support Web Folder agent in 8.0

Here is an install procedure for you.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/install/exchange_2007_proxy.htm

In this install procedure you will see links to the registry keys that you need

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/registry_keys/registry_keys.htm#bAllowMultiInstances

and

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/install/quick_start_guide_others/install_how_to.htm

Recommendation is to install the x64 instance first, with Exchange Database agent and OWAProxyEnabler.  Then decide if you will be installing the mailbox agents on the server or on an offhost proxy.  Configure the registry keys (if necessary) and you can install those agents.

Also keep in mind that you will need outlook 2007 or 2010 (32bit) installed in order to install the mailbox agents.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 05-24-2011, 4:53 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply but I am still struggling with this.

The first link you posted is for is for installing on an off host proxy - I wish to install direct on the exchange, is the procedure the same?

Do I need to multi instance? do I need to tweak the registry before starting install?

I don't see any exchange agents when i just select "install simpana on this 64 bit computer" though I have the appropriate licences.

I just want to be able to have  File Sys, Database, Mailbox, and Public folders (not bothered about web) same as I did on my exchange on 2003 and it seems to be a whole lot of hassle!

Any further info or links appreciated...

David

Posted: 05-24-2011, 7:49 AM

the procedure is the same.  in 8.0 we do not support x64 agents for Mailbox or Public Folder since we do not support x64 MAPI (Outlook 2010 x64).   If you are able to upgrade to 9.0, we do have full support for x64 MAPI so you would be able to install all agents on the x64 instance on your Exchange server.

you likely do not see the agents for install since you are running the x64 installer. You will need to configure the registry keys in the links that i provided and run the 32bit installer in order to get the 32bit Mailbox and Public Folder agents installed.

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 05-25-2011, 9:15 AM

Thanks SR - all working!

Appreciate your time...

David

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy